Friday, April 17, 2009

Lock Down

The other day I received a text from my 12 year old at about 2:55. She normally gets out at 2:45, then walks to her sister's elementary, where I pick them both up. I was at the grocery store picking up a few things, then moving on to pick them up.

The text said, mom this is Mary we are in a lock down don't text me back.

Scary.

It wasn't from her cell phone either, and she always has her cell phone on her.

What do you do?

I had another kid getting out of school shortly.

So, I head to the elementary and waited. I felt helpless. There was no sense going to the middle school, there was nothing I could do. I just hoped it would be over soon and I would hear from her and everything would be all right.

For 20 minutes I felt helpless. She called at 3:15. Once again not from her own phone. "It's over, I'm on my way."

Whew.

An 8th grader had brought a gun to school. I don't know what his intentions were, but apparently other kids saw it, reported it, and things were handled quickly and expertly. Things could ended differently. Another Columbine, who knows?

I've always been open and honest with my kids about everything. And I think it's so important to talk to our kids about school violence, and the importance of reporting if they see a weapon on the school grounds. It could mean their life, or the lives of their teachers and friends.

4 comments:

  1. That's pretty scary stuff....so very glad it didn't turn out any other way than it did.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh my good grief!!

    sometimes all we can do is wait it out, hope for the best. then hug the stuffin' outta them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, that's so scary! I do hope that kid's parents are answering some very tough questions about the guns in their home and their kid's access to them...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I guess the kid's dad has a gun collection. that's about all I know. there were conflicting stories. one said he was trading it for a video game (scary), one said he brought it to protect himself from an older non-student, I'm hoping he didn't bring it to blow some people away. yikes. he's in juvee to say the least and I'm sure he's getting expelled because we have a zero tolerance for weapons policy here.

    ReplyDelete

My Dad. He's awesome.

John Messina, Personal Injury Attorney

Total Pageviews