Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Writing: Life's Laughing Gas

So, I'm at the dentist the other day for my annual cleaning. I've got the gas mask on and I'm drifting out to lala land. If you wonder why I need nitris for a simple cleaning, I will tell you, I absolutely love my dentist, but hate dental work, all of it. My mouth is very sensitive, and I have a very low tolerance for pain.

I love nitris oxide. That slow ease into semi-consciousness. Your mind drifting to places and ideas that it never would otherwise. Forgetting every stress, every problem, every tragedy in your life, if only for an hour.

So as I lay there, drifting, floating, forgetting, I realize that this nitris, this laughing gas, is not unlike writing for me. When I write, I travel outside my body, I dream, I forget, I escape. I feel a kind of peace that can maybe be equated to meditating, sitting down with a drink after a long, hard day at work, or watching your child sleep.

And only when I'm done for the day, and I can't seem to write another word, am I eased back in to life, to its bills, and its phone calls, its conflicts, and all its stresses.

So, there it is, writing is my laughing gas, and as I cannot take dental work without the nitris, I can not take life without the writing.

3 comments:

  1. I like this a lot. I've never had laughing gas. Maybe I need to request it, especially when I write. I'm definitely the traditional type - writing is painful to me. And necessary.

    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post, Megan. I was really angry and things were kind of falling apart for me a few years back. And the biggest change in my life during that time was that I'd stopped writing. There were other variables as well, but that was the biggest one. I feel the same way. Writing is therapy for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Megan,

    thank you, beyond words, for that review!

    I did NOT push the button... :)))

    anna scott graham

    ReplyDelete

My Dad. He's awesome.

John Messina, Personal Injury Attorney

Total Pageviews