Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Top 4 Pet Peeves: # 2 Irresponsible Dog Owners


Anyone who knows me, knows I am not a pet owner. I have extremely bad allergies to everything under the sun, fur, feathers, dander, hair, etc, etc. Therefore, no pets. Well, we did have fish once, but they all died. Sometimes I'm surprised I did so well with my kids. It's not that I don't like animals, really. Okay, I really don't like dogs. Sorry, I know some of them are like your children. I also understand that animals are only as good as their owners which brings me to my # 2 pet peeve, irresponsible dog owners.

I do not like being chased by dogs. They bark, they bite, they rub up against you, and sniff you with their wet noses. I don't know about your state, but here in Washington there is a leash law. Abide.

My daughters are poop magnets. Both of them have stepped or fallen in poop more times than I can count. There is a poop and scoop law here in Washington. Abide.

As I mentioned before, I have allergies. Everyone who knows me knows this I think, yet there are those who insist on bringing their dogs into my home, letting them jump on my furniture and pee on my carpet. Why? I don't get it.

Do not be offended if I do not pet your precious Sparky, Fido, or Sam, especially if there is no place to wash my hands. See reference to allergies.

I believe a farmers market is meant for people, not dogs. The idea of your dog licking on the radishes, tomatoes, or asparagus I buy makes me sick. Can't you leave them at home and take them for a walk later?

The school field is not a dog park and you still need to abide by the leash law.

Although your dog is like a child to you, it isn't really a child. The same rules do not apply for dogs as they do children.

Me, the husband, and kids were playing tennis one day at a park. We're not very good, so we bring a big bucket of balls to hit around. Well, this dog barrels into the court, and starts picking up every ball he sees. He picks one up in his mouth, slobbers and chews on it, drops it, and moves to the next one. All the while his moronic owner is up the hill calling him, "Rover, come here, Rover, come here, bad dog (I don't know if she said bad dog, it just sounds good)" She shouts this over and over until Rusty finally tells her to come get the damn dog before he ruins all our balls. And guess what. SHE'S the one who's offended. Um, helloooo, see reference to leash law above.

So please, dog owners, keep your dog on a leash unless they are in your fenced yard or at the dog park. Pick up poop. Don't assume everyone in the world is a dog lover, and don't be offended by those who aren't. And please be sensitive to those of us with allergies. A few minutes with a dog can cause me a days worth of itchy eyes and sneezing.

My two cents. Feel free to comment or question as always. And it wouldn't kill you to become a follower of my blog, would it? ;)
Kisses
:*
Megan

5 comments:

  1. Thank you for commenting, and for the advice. I agree with your remarks about children too. Note my Pet Peeve # 3. LOL!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that too many pet owners let their dogs run wild - giving us responsible dog lovers a bad rap.

    However - in regards to children, I do my best to teach my children how to behave in public and discipline when needed. However, ultimately - they are individuals and humans and it is their choice whether or not they choose to behave properly.... they cannot be "trained" like a dog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the comment Karmyn. I do know a lot of dog owners with very disciplined dogs. I'm not a complete hater. It's more the allergies than anything else that have ruined my relationships with canines.

    And with children, I think it's a little bit nature, a little bit nurture. However I think nurture has more of an affect than nature. But granted, there are some kids who just can't help but be trouble. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dogs stick their noses in places they shouldn't. Kids that run amok should have less sugar in their diet and more turkey with Tryptophan.

    Ruben M. Stotsy

    ReplyDelete

My Dad. He's awesome.

John Messina, Personal Injury Attorney

Total Pageviews