Thursday, August 6, 2009

Top 4 BEST experiences from school: # 1 Graduating from College

This may not seem like a big deal to some of you, but it was for me. It took me three schools, five jobs, one baby, and ten years to complete. Let me give you a run down.

1987 attended University of Portland majoring in communications, with aspirations of being a journalist.

Partied too much, decided I just didn't know what I wanted to do, came home, worked as a Deli clerk in a grocery store.

1988 went to Tacoma Community College for one quarter. Was not dedicated at all, received the worst grade point average I had ever gotten.

1989 went back to the University of Portland, more serious this time, majored in business, wanted to own my own business. Couldn't cut the math. Didn't know what I was thinking.

Timeline is sketchy, I worked in a video store, jewelry store, and govt. office, for the next few years. All at the same time for part of it. No school.

Eventually quit the video store and the jewelry store and went to work full time for the Pierce County Auditors Office.

Went to night school at University of WA-Tacoma, a liberal arts school, taking two classes a quarter which was difficult because I had health and emotional problems at the time.

Married in 1994.

1995 I realized I hated my job. Took a year long leave of absence to finish school.

Got pregnant. Worked in my dad's law office while attending school.

Finally walked down the aisle, eight months pregnant and received my diploma, however, I had three classes to finish up, which I did from home after the baby was born. Never went back to the Auditor's Office.

A rocky road for sure, a degree as one of my boss' called is as useful as tits on a bull, but it's mine. I earned it.

If I could do it all over again, I don't know if I would change anything. Things that happened during that time helped shape who I am today. If I had gone all four years straight I might be in a different place, married to a different man, and had his kids instead of the ones I have. Deep, huh? ;)

So that's it, the top four BEST experiences from school. Tomorrow's a free for all. Catch you on the flip side.

Kisses
:*
Megan

5 comments:

  1. I went to three schools; had one each marriage, baby and divorce; worked my way through four jobs; and graduated after eight long years with a degree in computer science/psychology. My degree was useful - I worked as a software engineer for 17 years, mostly designing and implementing human interfaces (displays and controls...)

    ReplyDelete
  2. takes hard work to get things accomplished. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hard work, and lots and lots of time...

    ReplyDelete
  4. The harder the labor, the sweeter the fruit tastes. This was wonderful and inspiring. Thanks for sharing and congratulations on your achievement! ;p

    ReplyDelete

My Dad. He's awesome.

John Messina, Personal Injury Attorney

Total Pageviews