Monday, February 22, 2010

ABNA: The Amazon Breakthrough Novel Award contest


I thought since the first cuts are made this Thursday that I would blog about this little known literary contest. Though some people have touted it the "American Idol" of the literary world, I wouldn't exactly equate it to that. Reviewers and Penguin Editors pick the finalists until the very end, and then Amazon customers get to vote on them.

This will be my third year entering. The first year I entered the first novel I ever wrote, Dena Powers: Superhero? I made the top hundred that year.

Last year I entered a new novel, Mending Fences. I made the pitch round and got ousted after that. Which I still think odd because I got two good reviews, one of my reviewers saying it was the best one they had read.

This year I entered Lockdown. The writing stands up in my opinion, but it may be the most risky of the three. I would have liked to enter Mending Fences again, but after some serious revisions, it didn't meet the word count requirements.

These are the reasons I worry about it. The subject matter. It's pretty dark. If I get a reviewer who doesn't like dark novels, I'm more than likely out. The action doesn't start right away, and if someone wants action, they may be put off.

That said, I think that I might have a shot this year, but you never know. It depends on who is reading your pitch, who's reading your excerpt, how they rate it compared to how other reviewers rate the ones they're reading. It's really a crap shoot.

That's all for today. More tomorrow.

Kisses
:*

Megan

12 comments:

  1. I saw you were interviewed on publishersweekly.com for the article, "The winner is..." about the contest. Go girl, make it happen!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Walter. I'm working it. Thanks for reading. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey! I haven't paid any attention to ABNA this year because I didn't enter, and I'm busy writing. But now that I know you've got an entry, I guess I'd better tootle on over and read yours and...er...whatever else I find. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well hopefully mine will make the cut. I'll let you know. Thanks for reading Cathy. Long time no talk.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're sweet Steffan. I hope you're right. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good luck! I sat this one out, so I'll watch for your posts on it and keep my fingers crossed for you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love dark--can't imagine that would work against you? The past winners don't seem exactly light...

    Anyway, you know I'm wishing you luck in droves. I think things like the PW article--this blog--get your name out there and make you a better candidate post-deal, too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Jenny, I appreciate it. That's what it's all about. Getting out there, staying visible. If not this contest, another day another book.

    ReplyDelete

My Dad. He's awesome.

John Messina, Personal Injury Attorney

Total Pageviews