Thursday, February 11, 2010

Obesity and other lovely things


I've really struggled with blogging this week, so once again I asked my kids for help and Thing One is reading a book about anorexia so she wanted me to write about why children are overweight.

But I'm not only going to write about obesity but also other food related issues.

The teens scare me. They are so obsessed with their weight. I try to be a good example for my girls, but I know I fail in some areas. I eat well, I exercise, but I like to drink wine. Now, I know what it takes to lose weight. I should cut down on the alcohol. I should exercise more than I do. And I should really lay off the Doritos. It is truly a lifestyle change. And though I'm not happy with my weight at the moment, a few years ago I weighed 170. Yep. I'll NEVER go there again.

What I get tired of are the people who constantly complain about their weight but don't do anything about it. They don't want to change their lifestyle, they want the quick fix. The fad diets, the South Beach, the Atkins, etc. Yes, you can lose weight. Yes, you will probably gain it back. You have to make real changes to make it stick. I've pretty much cut out most fat, sodium, I try to cut cholesterol, but I love chicken. I rarely eat "real" cheese, I get the fat free kind. I rarely eat sweets. I keep threatening to eat a bowl of ice-cream, but never do. I think the last time I did was probably about ten years ago.

But back to my kids. Thing One is tiny. I've worried she doesn't eat enough, but then I realized, she just eats well. We don't really keep cookies and chips in the house, but there are a few temptations here and there. But when she wants a snack, she usually grabs something of the fruit variety. Strawberries, a banana, her favorite is watermelon, so I try and keep that in the house when I can afford it.

Thing Two isn't fat though she fears she is. She however will make bad food choices. Cheese and crackers, ice cream. So, I have to guide her to the stuff that's better for her. I tell her she can take chips and things in her lunch (I buy 100 calorie bags) but after school and at night fruit or popcorn are the only choices she gets, with the occasional bowl of ice cream, I mean, you have to live a little, right?

The other thing about my girls, is they're active. Right now both are playing indoor soccer, and Thing Two is playing basketball both in school and out of school. In April they will both be playing indoor soccer and soccer for the school, and after that outdoor soccer season begins. So I don't worry about them getting enough exercise. And I don't let them watch TV. The only time we watch TV is at night as a family. We don't even have cable so they can't glue themselves to the Disney Channel or Nickelodeon. But so many kids these days are idle. Television, video games, computers.

And the parents don't give them healthy food choices. They keep sugary cereals, cookies, chips, soda in the house. And so many people are busy and tired they resort to fast food. I get the reasons why, but there are quick, healthy meals you can make too. We haven't eaten fast food outside of Subway for at least five years. I try and cook every night. And people wonder why American children are obese. Can you say supersize me?

Well I think I've ranted enough on the subject. What are your thoughts?

6 comments:

  1. Man, these issues are so hard, especially because even if we do all the right things (ha) there are still a ton of peer and media influences making it seem as if skinny is not just better but the be all and end all. It's funny, my kids are super skinny, so much so that I've gotten flak from certain docs about keeping weight on, do they eat, etc. Yes, I say, they eat about seven meals a day (I fix most of 'em) and you know what, my husband is six foot and 150 pounds!! Ah, they say, looking me up and down. It's their father.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The issues are hard. and I know that there are other factors involved. I have food issues because of mental factors. But I think the thing is that people KNOW what to do, they're just too busy, tired, lazy to do them.

    I need to drop ten pounds, I know how to do it, but it's work. A lot of work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Megan -- love this post! I know I'm a lucky person. One that does not have to watch calories. On the other hand, my 11 year old daughter has the body type of my husband's side of the family, and so will struggle, I'm sure. I NEVER talk about her weight. I always talk in terms of eating healthy -- eat an apple instead of cookies or candy. I dno't put sweets in her lunch. And, even though I have an allergy to exercise, I started a program in her school called Girls on the Run, so she could participate in an activity that would get her exercise, but wouldn't have to compete (not her thing). So that's what I do. Yet I'm always concerned she'll become overly concerned about her weight.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it's inevitable for girls to obsess about their weight. It sounds like you're doing everything right to keep her healthy. When then girls were in elementary, they had lots of programs to keep kids fit, running club, tunbling, unicycle class. It was very cool, so I never worry about the exercise of it, more the eating healthy side. Thanks for reading and following Karen. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. OHMYGAWD. I so EXACTLY could have written this. I am wandering into this strange deja vous thing... I eat well, exercise, and love wine (and micro-brewed beer). I call my children thing one and thing two too (Hubby is the big giant thing)... Will you be my new best friend? (I'm serious).

    Am currently following weight watchers (since January 2, down 20 pounds) but I have much farther to go than you... I am 5'11" and 170 is GOAL range --top of it, but healthy weight...

    Fortunately (or not) living in Michigan we are surrounded by ALSO obese people, so my daughter doesn't feel nearly as burdened as I did growing up. She will never be a pixie, but believes me that 'when she is swimming, she looks great'--which she does--she has my legs (sadly for her) but when she is fit, she looks good... just has to be active... (I wish someone had told ME that at 14)--would have saved decades of bad habits.

    Only difference I noted, is I would rather have low volume of real stuff--bulk up on veggies, but if I HAVE cheese or butter--it's the real deal. (I think our bodies know when we try to psych them out... or maybe I am justifying)

    (every Saturday my blog is on the weight stuff, though I refer to it as my 'Book Tour Fitness Plan")

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very cool Hart. Yes I'll be your new BFF, but I warn you I'm fickle. ;)

    I will check out your blog on Saturday. I did the weight watcher thing for awhile. It's what got me from 170 to 150, but after that I had to make some real lifelong changes.

    Thanks for reading. See you on the threads.

    ReplyDelete

My Dad. He's awesome.

John Messina, Personal Injury Attorney

Total Pageviews