Thursday, February 18, 2010

The Ugly Truth About Getting Published

It's hard. So very hard. Here are things you can do to easily get published.

Murder.

Shoot up a school.

Be a fucked up celebrity.

Be married to a fucked up politician.

Be president of the United States.

Know someone.

Write a couple of best sellers and then just churn out a bunch of crap to make a buck.

Yep. I'm not sure I'll be doing any of those things soon. I don't mean to sound bitter or jaded, but real literature, good literature gets passed up to make room for the crap listed above. (and yes I know it's not all crap, but I'm trying to make a point)

I know there are some Cinderella stories out there, but for most writers it takes years of hard work. I've seen it first hand. Hours and hours of pouring over edits and revisions. Endless querying to agents, which may be the most humiliating part of the business. And then what happens? Rejection. To take the time to get your query letter perfect just to have them scrawl back on it, not for me. We're not even worth the cost of a piece of paper.

Most the writers I know says it has taken them ten years to go from conception to publication. TEN YEARS!!!!

Yes, I'm ranting, I'm raving, but sometimes I get frustrated.

And what really bothers me is the non writers who think it's easy. It's not. It's like trying to become an A list actor, a professional athlete, or a rock star.

So what do I do? I keep working. I keep writing. I keep revising and editing. I keep querying. I keep learning and reading. And maybe one day it will be my turn.

Kisses

:*

Megan
Post a Comment

My Dad. He's awesome.

John Messina, Personal Injury Attorney

Total Pageviews