Monday, February 15, 2010

Valentine's Day


I'm not really a fan of the holiday. Just another reason to spend money you don't have. And I don't need chocolates (definitely don't need), flowers die, I'm perfectly happy with my cheap jewelry I buy from Target (if you want to feel important you pronounce that Tar-jay)And if you love someone, you should show them all year round.

I have certain rules. No gifts. No going out to dinner. It's simple, right?

I'm perfectly content making a nice dinner for my family, and hanging out and buying a new movie to watch, which is what we normally do. Oh, and I usually get Thing One and Thing Two a little candy or something.

A few days before V-day, the husband and I are shopping at Fred Meyer looking to spend our reward bucks on a movie. We grab Nick and Nora's Infinite Playlist for the kids, decide to buy them a couple gifts, nothing big, an iPod cover, a flash drive, and a set of headphones for the computer to use with a Spanish and Italian program we have. I'm standing in line and my husband says, "Do you want an iPod?"

Um. Was it a trick question? "No. It's too much." (though I really really wanted one)

"Are you sure? I know you've been jealous of the girl's." We got the girls iPods for Christmas. Yes I was indeed jealous. I wanted one so bad I could taste it.

"No, it's fine. I was going to ask for one for my birthday." (Which is in two months)

"Do you want it now, or do you want to wait? We have the money now."

I'm weak. I caved. Of course I wanted it. And what was the point of waiting two months? I broke rule number one. We bought the iPod.

Then we went to a hardware store and bought the husband $20 worth of tools. Not really a fair exchange, but one he was perfectly content with.

The night before V-day, the kids want a sleepover. Six girls total including mine. We went to our indoor soccer game, fed them spaghetti, they overdosed on rootbeer floats, and we didn't really see them all night (though they could be heard. LOUDLY.) At 1:00 am, husband told them to go to sleep.

Woke up V-day morning and made them bacon and french toast. This is when we found out that most stayed up until about 4:00 am, a couple others until 6:00. (Again I ask why I do this?) Normally we find this out later when we read their Facebook pages and they've posted at 1:30, then 3:00, then 5:00. This time, they just offered the information. Parents all over town would hate us that day.

The husband and I once again went to Fred Meyer, we bought Zombieland and Boondock Saints.

Started cooking pork chops. Rusty's favorite, and which we don't eat ever. Have to cook them slow, at least three hours if not nore. I had bought rib eye for the occasion, but didn't check the date, so we had to eat that on Friday or else it would have been green and tasted and smelled funky.

Last sleepover guest left at 3:30 pm.

Cooked twice baked mashed potatoes, peas, and homemade bread. Made garlic butter.

Thing Two gets invited to another sleep over.

I'm supposed to (so I think) drop her off in 30 minutes. so, I get dinner on the table and we sit down to eat. Doorbell rings and it's Thing Two's friend there to pick her up. She grabs her bread and leaves the rest, which is fine as her dad had no problem polishing off his plate, then her plate, then going in for more (should that be than? I get confused). I was surprised he could even move after all that.

We sit down to watch Zombieland with some wine. Very funny. Thing One fell asleep though, as she had been one of those to stay up until 6:00 am.

Rusty and I both fall asleep during Boondock Saints. Me and Thing One end up in my bed, Rusty in the basement.

And that's how it went. Romantic, huh? How was yours?

7 comments:

  1. COngrats on the iPod--you'll LOVE it. I didn't think I needed one, but got one for Christmas a few years ago, and now I can't exercise without it.

    We have the same no gifts, no big deal rule on all these minor holidays. Last night we actually ended up having Chinese spare ribs and sesame noodles to bring in the Chinese new year (I've got two tigers in my house, so it seemed fitting, though I am NOT our cook)... but I had to work today, so that was IT--completely... probably as a tart, I should have at LEAST made him dance like I like...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Boondock Saints rocks! Oh, and we spent V day at the local mexican chain restaurant, sitting at the bar, eating only chips and guacomole - very fancy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds fun John. Yes, the movie was good, but we were tired and it was late. Willen Defoe's character is a freak. :P Will probably finish it tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad you got your iPod! I'm like you, never thought much about the holiday, or if I did, it was for the hubster and me, another night to be romantic. But they make such a big deal about it now in school...it's lucky I bought (small) gifts and had cranberry bread ready for breakfast, because you would've thought it was Christmas morning when the kids came down. Anyway, turned out to be a nice day, with a winter hike past a half-frozen waterfall. And hubster made me a CD of all our songs for the past 18 years. We are pre-sleepover stage...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooh, I love me a mix CD. Sounds like a great day!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cheap jewelery at Target. Now I'm very curious. I almost live in the one in Palm Desert. Everyone knows me by name. The store manager, a middle-aged, southern black lady, always cackles at me when she sees me." Heh heh Stef-fawn!" I've already sifted what jewelery Khol's had and was like "eh."

    Kohl's is a great place to make phone calls at in the early mornings. The lady's lingerie dressing room is often blocked off by a cart and the lights are always off, but there's a half-circular couch in the middle of four changing rooms. It's a nice place to drink coffee and be alone.

    Why did I say that ... I mean type that? Oh, well. No need to delete.

    Don't worry. My V Day was much the same. The warmest thing I've come in contact with is my cuppa tea just before bed.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't think I have a Kohl's nearby. But I do love Target's cheap jewelry. $8 necklaces, $5 toe rings. I don't really do earrings anymore.

    At least you had your tea to keep you warm. :)

    ReplyDelete

My Dad. He's awesome.

John Messina, Personal Injury Attorney

Total Pageviews