Wednesday, March 17, 2010

I always thought I was Irish...


...but I'm not. Not according to Wikipedia. I'm Scotch-Irish. I've always known this, but never bothered to look up what it really meant.

According to Wikipedia:

Scotch-Irish (the historically common term in North America) or Scots-Irish refers to inhabitants of the United States and, by some, of Canada who are of Ulster Scottish descent, immigrating from the province of Ulster in Ireland. The term may be qualified with American (or Canadian) as in "Scotch-Irish American" or "American of Scots-Irish ancestry". "Scotch-Irish" is an Americanism, almost unknown in England, Ireland or Scotland. It refers to Irish immigrants from the Province of Ulster to North America primarily during the eighteenth century. An estimated 200,000 or more Ulster Scots migrated to America in the 18th century, out of a total colonial population of about 3 million.[4] The majority of these immigrants were descended from Scottish and English families who had been transplanted to Ireland during the Plantation of Ulster in the 1600s.

There you have it. I'm not Irish at all. Or maybe I am, I mean, if Scots were transplanted to Ireland, wouldn't you assume that some Scots and Irish procreated? I have no idea. As far as I know, family on my mother's side is sketchy, not as clear as my Italian side.

I know this much, I come from the McClain clan. I believe my family emigrated here from Ireland to, I think, Missouri. When two of the McClain brothers found out their step father had been sexually abusing their sister, they killed him and ran off, ending up in Oklahoma. I still have family there to this day.

My family, if they read my blog, could come correct me if I'm wrong, but that's the story I remember hearing.

Just thought I would share a little of my Irish, or not Irish heritage on this Saint Patty's Day. Slainte!

Kisses

:*

Megan "McClain" Bostic

4 comments:

  1. Erin Go BRAGH!! I'm a mix of English and Irish, mostly. I think it's really interesting to go back and see where my family is from, because a little bit of that heritage lives on in my life now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the green beer. Do we still enforce the tradition of pinching anyone who does not wear green today? Hmmm, that's a good excuse to go out and make a pain of myself among my friends.

    I guess you would be covered with those green socks. Darn.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My name is Nate Bostic. I too didn't know what Scot-Irish meant until researching it today. Sounds like you went through the same thing. Wonder if we're related?

    ReplyDelete

My Dad. He's awesome.

John Messina, Personal Injury Attorney

Total Pageviews