Thursday, March 11, 2010

Submissions

No, not that kind of submission.

So, you landed an agent. They want you to make a few changes. A few, HAHAHAHAHA, it is to laugh. Okay, they want you to make MAJOR changes. Some of them want this before they will even sign you, some of them, if they really don't see any major flaws with the manuscript will sign you before the changes (if you're lucky). Remember, save your manuscripts under different names (1.0, 2.0, or whatever floats your boat) just in case you make changes and they decide they like the previous version better.

I had an agent for Dena Powers: Superhero? She was a sweet girl with high hopes and big dreams. She had interned at a NY agency after graduating college.

I had to put together a cover letter, manuscript, and author photo for my publisher submissions. Plus I (we did this together) had to research and find out what they wanted from agents. I paid the printing, I paid the shipping. I'm sure this must be standard. (maybe not?)

We sent out to about fourteen total. We heard back from three when my agent quit the business. So, that's my experience subbing to pubs. Not ideal. Maybe other's experiences have been different/better.

Of course, having looked back at the manuscript a couple months ago, I said to myself WTF? No wonder they didn't take it. It needs serious work.

Kisses

:*

Megan

9 comments:

  1. It's not unheard of to pay the shipping, but it's not standard. And it's not standard for the writer to research the publishers, although I'm sure it can happen. I'm guessing she was brand new and hung out her own shingle?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for posting about the continuing process of publishing... it's all great info!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes the agent was brand new. Lots of heart, but spreading herself too thing. A learning experience yes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Agents are a waste of time and effort unless you have the hottest manuscript on the planet. But, most of us haven't been in the news, killed anyone, or faced indictment. Does talking about the tornado on TV count? Oops, I got distracted.

    Has anyone ever thought about getting an agent to get you another agent? That's how rediculous this agent thing is getting. How many agents say you need to already be published before you can even be considered as a client?

    Ha! Now I've got angst lol. Your first book should just go directly to a publisher. Ever wonder why a publisher only wants to see your first 6 chapters? To avoid clutter I guess. But if the submission is sent by E-mail, how much extra space does that take up? None. I avoid the guidelines and send what ever I want. By the way, I liked your idea about sending confetti with a letter. I'm doing it next time.

    Distracted again. Consider a new publisher for one's first time book. They're hungrier. But watch out for the crooks! How many out there have had publishers and agents want your money for re-writes? They should be prosecuted. Good luck to all!

    Did you really say "WTF" on your blog? I could say that every day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Walter, LOL.

    I know an agent isn't necessary, but if you want the big dogs to look at your book it's the only way to go. It is difficult, and frustrating, and traumatic in a sense, but for me, it's worth it. I want someone to get me the best deal possible.

    That said, I search for an agent first, if after numerous queries and rejections I can't find one, go straight to smaller publishers. If that fails, there is always the self published route. But for me, that is a last ditch effort.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So great that you've had that kind of exposure already. And know what to expect for next time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, and it's difficult to even get that much exposure. I wish my ms had been polished a little more though, but, you live and learn.

    ReplyDelete

My Dad. He's awesome.

John Messina, Personal Injury Attorney

Total Pageviews