Thursday, September 2, 2010

High School? Already?

So, Thing One left for halls of high school this morning with her cousin and friend by her side.  And while I didn't cry, I did feel like I needed to take a few Xanax, knowing how difficult the high school years can be, and how many things I forgot to tell her before she started.

We've already had the drugs/alcohol/sex talk.  But her father and I both failed to have the older-boy-with-a-car talk.  Meaning, we forgot to tell her they were off limits.  And she's a very VERY cute girl, so it's only a matter of time before some suave upperclassman sees the cutie soccer player and wants a date.  Not going to happen.

High school also makes me face my mortality a little more, well, mostly my age.  I'm getting older, no matter how hard I try to fight it.  How much longer can I get away with mini skirts and high tops before I stop looking like "Cool Mom" and start looking like someone desperately trying to cling to their youth?

And then I have to face the fact that I won't be seeing her much anymore.  With sports and social activities, high school is the time where the kids become more independent and hate being home. sigh.

I will say that she's a good responsible girl who I completely trust. She knows the order of priorities, school, soccer, social life.  She's never been in trouble and she talks to me about pretty much everything, so I think if issues arise, we'll be facing them together.

Ciao,

Megan

5 comments:

  1. My oldest starts middle school in a few days. I was having a really hard time adjusting to that but after reading your post, it made me feel so much better because no one drives in middle school! I don't have to deal with cute older senior boys trying to get my daughter in his car! So, I've got three years to brainwash my child into believing that high school boys with cars=strangers trying to give her candy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. STRANGER DANGER!!! LOL. I hope it works for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The first time a pick-up truck showed up with the stereo playing loud enough to rattle the whole neighborhood, I commented, "What's that noise I hear? The mating call of the imature boy teen?"

    She rolled her eyes, and I went back to cleaning all my guns at the coffee table. Boom box boy was not allowed in the house, ever.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ACK! We gave in to the car date... My Thing 1 has a boyfriend who has a car. They started dating last year about a month before her 15th birthday. He is VERY nice though, and we did make sure to meet him and closely supervise... I figure forbidding leads to lying.

    I wish you a ton of luck. It sounds like your daughter has a good head on her shoulders, and that helps a LOT.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! This was trully an amazing, educating post! Thank you soo much for posting! :)

    ReplyDelete

My Dad. He's awesome.

John Messina, Personal Injury Attorney

Total Pageviews