Monday, October 25, 2010

Sleepless in Seattle (okay, Tacoma, whatever)


I have not slept well recently.  For like, three months.  Factors: stress, the weather, my 41 year old body, my social activities.  Last night was bad.  A combination of middle age and pouring rain and cell phones.  Rain used to be a comforting sound when I slept.  In my old house.  In my new house the water rushing through the gutters loudly making me wake in a cold sweat thinking I need to get up and build an arc.  And then there's my neighbors wind chimes.  Wind chimes that are lovely on a warm summer day while you're sitting in your backyard bbqing with a beer in your hand.  Wind chimes that when you close your eyes, you feel as close to Africa as you can be.  Wooden and whimsical, the sound it makes is enchanting.  Unless it's 3:00 am on a windy night.  Then it's annoying and reminds me of someone turning the handle of a jack-in-the-box over and over.

And then there's this body of mine.  This body that can't decide whether it needs to be sweating or freezing.  I'm constantly either throwing covers off or trying to cuddle up to be warm enough.  This body that has decided its back needs to ache every night so I toss and turn trying to find a position that doesn't cause  pain, on back, on stomach, on side, leg over pillow, elevating head, elevating feet. ugh.

Bzzzzzz.  Bzzzzzz.  That's what I heard about every five minutes during the hours of 2 am and morning.  Someone's cell phone was buzzing and it wasn't mine.  I could hear it through the floor.  Thing One says it wasn't hers.  Thing Two says it was Thing One's, she could hear it too.  New rule.  Cell phones get turned off at night.

So here I am.  Another sleepless night and in desperate need of an IV drip full of coffee.

You would think this would give me a nice restful sleep tonight.  I'm not silly enough to fool myself.


I hope you slept well.

Have a great day.

Ciao,

Megan

5 comments:

  1. those sleepless nights are the worst. I wonder when I'll learn to get out of bed and write through them. At least it would be productive.

    Hope tonight surprises you. <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Every month I go through a few of those sleepless nights. Wishing you a night that beats the odds. And sweet dreams.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a time of life. The woman thing. It's coming. You just have to recognize it and go with the changes.

    Doesn't make it any better with the turbulence that's come lately in your life. You just haven't found out exactly where you are. But your writing and having a book come out is telling you where you are going.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for your comments ladies.

    I hope tonight does surprise me and gives me a bit of rest.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Deb has a lot of problems with sleep and the anxiety she gets when she can't sleep, making it a vicious circle. She believes in the bad nights theory (and in tiny pieces of sleeping pills!)

    Good luck!
    B
    The Middle Ages

    ReplyDelete

My Dad. He's awesome.

John Messina, Personal Injury Attorney

Total Pageviews