Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Giving Thanks

Since it's Turkey Day Eve, I thought I would share with you the things I have been thankful for this last year.  These are in no particular order, so don't judge me if I put gummy worms at number one, and my kids at number 534.

I'm thankful for support systems.  I have needed many this year whether for my writing or just life in general.  This support system includes family and friends alike.  It would take too long to list every single one of them, but there are a few names I'd like to mention.  My parents, always there for me no matter what.  Rusty, even at my craziest, always there to catch me when I fall.  My kids, which I normally call Thing One and Thing Two, but will use their names, Mary and Rachel, without them I'm sure I would be lost.  My siblings, they have my back.  Jay, Angela, and Heidi.  Who've helped me out with some stuff.  We'll leave it at that.

As far as the writing goes, I have numerous people to be thankful for, starting with my agent, who sold my book in two weeks, and my editor, who is absolutely wonderful, but there are three people who have been there since my very first writing contest, Gae, Jeff, and Tracy.  Probably wouldn't have been able to do this writing gig without you.

...and speaking of writing, I'm thankful for having joined the Class of 2k11.  They have been an awesome support through this crazy writing gig as well, and it's nice to know that we all have each other to commiserate and celebrate with.  Also all the people who've read my writing and given feedback.  You rock.

Okay, enough of that.  I'm thankful for a roof over my head, clothes on my back, and food on my table.  Times are still tough for many, think about donating some time, food, or clothing to your local shelter.

I'm thankful for soccer and NFL football.  Two of my favorite things to watch this time of year.
And here are just some random bits:

Sorry I can't resist this.  It's my favorite.
Gummy candies
Harry Potter
The sun
The Internet
Facebook
Dexter
Weeds
Netflix


The Pacific Northwest
Pandora
Playlist.com
iTunes

I think I'll stop there.  I'm sorry if I've left anyone off, the people behind me are really too numerous to name.  But you know who you are, and just realize, I'm thankful for you too.

So, what are you thankful for this holiday season?

7 comments:

  1. Especially in a tough year, it's nice to sit and reflect on what you're thankful for. Thanks for sharing.

    Right now I'm getting ready to drive 3 hours mostly just to eat Grandma's pumpkin pie. So I'm thankful for that (and, of course, that I still have her around to make it).
    erica

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, that is nice you still have your grandmother. My paternal grandmother (and grandfather for that matter) was the most kind, giving person on the face of the planet. Her house always smelled like oregano and basil and I wish I wasn't such a jerk when I was a teenager and visited more. It's funny, my grandfather died when I was pregnant with Mary, my grandmother (whose name was Mary) died when I was pregnant with Rachel. It's almost like they gave their lives for the new generation to begin. :) Thanks for taking me down memory lane.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This brings to mind all I'm thankful for. Have a great Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Enjoy your Thanksgiving! I know it will be wonderful because you have your family to spend it with. It during these times we miss our family the most. Treasure them while you can...

    Michael

    ReplyDelete
  5. Medeia, same to you.
    Michael, yes, my family is in the area and yes, I especially miss my grandmother this time of year because she died right before the holiday and not only that, she was comatose that week, but woke up one day talking about going home for Thanksgiving and all the wonderful food we'd serve. Then she fell right back into it.

    Mike, yes, how could I forget the unicorns.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm Canadian, so we've already had our celebration. But this year I'm grateful for the blogosphere as I have met all of you and it's been amazing!
    Happy Thanksgiving! Barbara
    The Middle Ages

    ReplyDelete

My Dad. He's awesome.

John Messina, Personal Injury Attorney

Total Pageviews