Thursday, April 7, 2011

Thought Provoking Thursday: Successes and failures as a writer

If you're a writer, I'm sure you feel you've failed at something more than once.  You've scrapped a piece of your work.  Revised to the point of it being something completely different.  Been rejected over and over again by agents and editors.  Gotten a harsh critique or review.

Here's the thing: it's hard to get over, I know this.  Been there done that to all of the above.  The key is to let it roll off.  Yes, first you can scream, shake your fists in the air at no one in particular, but don't lose your cool (which unfortunately I've done a couple times as well, though fleeting and I don't think there is any evidence *crosses fingers*)

It's easy to burn bridges.  Look at that poor author who posted a million times on that blog reviewer's review of her novel.  That is called self destruction.  Can you say it with me?  I knew that you could. (I'm totally dating myself with that reference, but some of you may chuckle)

I've learned to scream silently.  Or to do it in the privacy of my own home.  I've written letters and emails voicing my anger and I've promptly deleted them.  And okay, I've written a blog, posted it, then deleted it.  But THAT one was ridiculous.  Just ask anyone who looked at it.

You take your hits.  You suffer in silence.  Tell a couple really trustworthy friends, your mother, your journal, then you move on.  Take a step back and re-evaluate your rejection/critique/review and see if maybe there is some validity to it.  Even if you don't find that validity, you continue to work on your craft, you keep learning, keep growing as a writer. Surround yourself with people who will support you through your trials and travails. You never give up.  You keep writing, you keep querying, you keep submitting, because if you give up, you'll never get there, and you'll always be wondering what might have been.

6 comments:

  1. Timeless.

    The "what-if's" are what drive me.

    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Tymothy. I'm with you. I don't want to have to think about the what might have beens in life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This reminds me of one of my favorite sayings of all time: "The only shots you miss are the ones you don't take."

    You just have to keep going. Definitely. Loved this blog, Megan.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm having an I-should-just-quit-writing day so thanks for this blog. I think I'll re-read tomorrow too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Megan:

    I had a reviewer on Amazon (Kindle) say he would rather read a toilet paper label than one of my books. LOL at first I went crazy.

    A lot of people read the 'One Star' reviews to get the truth about a book. So, I started posting sample chapters in response to mean comments as a way of letting readers decide for themselves, rather than relying on reviewer to as a filter.

    Good news. I've sold over 11,000 books (mostly Kindle). A lots happened since I first posted on your blog over a year ago (you were my first blog posting).

    Good luck in all your efforts.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @ Allison. Thank you.
    @ Jeana keep writing. Don't give up. Especially if you enjoy it.
    @ Walter. Awesome. Congrats to you!!!

    ReplyDelete

My Dad. He's awesome.

John Messina, Personal Injury Attorney

Total Pageviews