Tuesday, May 3, 2011

T Tuesday. T is for Theme

Themes.  Do you have some that run through just about every one of your novels?  Here are a few things that I see me constantly writing about, whether they play a major part or a supporting role.

Soccer: I love soccer.  I love watching my kids play soccer.  I used soccer in the MG series I wrote (my very venture into novel writing), it also had it's supporting roll in Never Eighteen (NE).  It makes sense because every weekend for about nine months out of the year I am either watching one or two games a week.

Coffee, particularly Starbucks:  I'm addicted, so this just makes sense.  In the MG series, they have a favorite coffee shop, in NE Kaylee works at Starbucks.  In Lockdown there is a scene with the shooters mom and the police where they talk over coffee.

Death:  Yep.  I'm starting to think I may be obsessed with or at least fascinated by it.  People die.  I've killed or made someone gravely ill in every book I've written be it nemesis, best friend, or the entire cast.  I think in my WIP (work in progress) I won't kill anyone, though my protagonist is fascinated by death.

Teen social issues: Eating disorders, domestic abuse, drug abuse, alcoholism, depression, sexual assault, homosexuality, violence, I've written about all of them.  The sad thing is, teens face these problems every day whether it's their own issue, or someone close to them.

So, what reoccurring themes do you find running through your writing?

Do share.

8 comments:

  1. Rebels (some protagonist or positive character always has non-traditional values and is RIGHTER than people who are more traditional)

    Mental illness (probably makes sense--my training is psychology)

    Conspiracy (this goes with the rebel thing... don't trust the people in charge--they are either incompetent or evil)

    unexpected friendship (support from a surprising place)

    (and I might be inclined to mention Harry Potter, Monty Python, microbrews and Doc Martens)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha, very good.

    You mentioning Doc Martens made me remember that I think I have converse in just about every book I've written. lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh for sure it's duality. The two sides of the same coin in human experience. It fascinates me...
    B

    ReplyDelete
  4. Control. My characters are always realizing the circumstances of their life are out of their control and searching for some way to regain it. And taxis. Maybe that's just because I hate to drive. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Alienation and connection, power run amok, global concerns, music.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for your comments. Interesting themes for sure.

    I often have music as a theme in my novels as well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sarcasm tends to be more of a motto than a theme in my writing. But, I notice I write about things that don't make sense to me, observances in the day and how crazy my family really is most of the time. My grandma, like you, talks about death... a lot. A lot a lot. Maybe you two should blog together?
    Ava

    ReplyDelete
  8. lol. Death for some reason is a total fascination with me. The Protag in my new novel is also fascinated with death. It's one of those "unknown" things.

    ReplyDelete

My Dad. He's awesome.

John Messina, Personal Injury Attorney

Total Pageviews