Thursday, May 5, 2011

Thought Provoking Thursday: Mothers

With Mother's Day being this weekend, I thought I would write about mothers.  (and yes, I'm avoiding the whole bin Laden thing)

My mom is a saint and she's worked hard for that coming from a childhood where she was forced to grow up too fast.  She rose above it and broke a cycle, which is not always easy to do.  Sure, she's had her not so pretty moments, but who hasn't.

But she was always there to bandage my wounds, worry when I wasn't home in time, and dry my tears.  It's not only me she's protected and nurtured.  She helped her own mother by buying her groceries, taking her on vacations because she didn't have the money to do those things, little or big, on her own.

She along with my dad help send more kids to college than I can even count.  Education is important do her.  She's a very smart woman.  She has business sense, common sense, and she can talk for hours about books and movies.

She works with the Hospitality Kitchen here in Tacoma, gathering donations of coats, socks, and toiletries, and delivering them a couple times a year, among her other philanthropical activities and donations.  I probably wouldn't be able to count how many organizations she donates to on both hands. 

And these last few years, she's protected me, guided me, listened to me, believed in me, and tried to understand me when perhaps I wasn't acting completely rational or reasonable or sane for that matter.

She's a beautiful person and has been a great example for me, and I can only hope that I'm even half the mom as she has been to me.

Happy Mother's Day to my mom and all the moms out there.  It's one of the hardest jobs, if not the hardest, to raise kids, keep them healthy, and teach them how to become independent and confident adults.

1 comment:

My Dad. He's awesome.

John Messina, Personal Injury Attorney

Total Pageviews