Thursday, May 12, 2011

Thought Provoking Thursday: Relationships

Here I was going to talk about rude people today after an incident at Starbucks yesterday morning, then something threw a monkey wrench in it.

Relationships, they're kind of funny, right?  And I'm not just talking romantic relationships, I'm talking about friendships too.  Sometimes they just don't, shouldn't, or can't work, no matter how you might feel about a person.  Things can just get in the way, work, kids, time, emotions, things out of your control.

I think we take some of our relationships in life for granted.  We expect that person will always be there for us, then one day *poof* they're gone, for whatever reason, they move, they die, they move on.  Even if you think you see it coming, or expect it, the gravity of it still hits hard, makes your heart ache.

The book I'm writing now, that happens to my main character a lot.  People are constantly leaving her life for whatever reason.  She struggles because of it.  And I felt bad doing all these terrible things to her, but I didn't really know how she felt.  I do now.

Don't take for granted that someone will always be there for you.  You may get blindsided.

~Megan

5 comments:

  1. That's why I like characters. Because real people suck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Letting go is such a hard thing to do. I don't think it's easy for anyone, whether they are characters or real people.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Matthew, isn't that the truth?

    Johanna, yes. Especially when you don't expect it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a good subject to write about. A couple of years ago, I had some truly awful times with an old friend who I've known for a good 35 years. I realized, after trying to hold the friendship together with spit and scotch tape, that some friendships are destined to die a horrendous death. I'm okay with it now, but at the time, it was worse than any breakup with a boyfriend, or fight with my hubby.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing. Yeah, losing friends is never easy, but sometimes it's just the way it needs to be.

    ReplyDelete

My Dad. He's awesome.

John Messina, Personal Injury Attorney

Total Pageviews