Monday, April 30, 2012

Monkey Madness Monday: Love: Choice vs. Feeling

So, I had a debate the other day about Love. The argument, could you choose to love someone, or was it an inherent feeling? I'm talking about romantic love here, not the love you feel for your child or friends.

In my opinion, you cannot choose who you love. It's a feeling that comes from deep within. It's like a flower, it starts out as a tiny bud, then grows and blossoms into something big and beautiful. My opposition said you can choose who you love. I don't think you can open yourself up like that. You either love someone or you don't, you can't force yourself.

I asked two other people. One said definitely a feeling. The other said it's a choice of trust. You have to choose to trust that person and only then can you open your heart to them.

Oddly enough, the two who said love is a choice are men, the one who said feeling is a woman.

What do you think?

2 comments:

  1. Great question Megan! I think it's a little bit of both, but more often a feeling. I've definitely felt love (or something remarkably close) for girls that were all wrong for me, where there was almost no connection, nothing in common...no reason to feel anything. Love defies logic sometimes.

    And when you're with someone you love and there is that connection, it inevitably gets put to the test at some point. Then it becomes a choice of staying committed, working through each obstacle, and keeping the romance alive when life too often gets in the way.

    Then again, falling out of love is a feeling, too. And cheating is a choice. So um... I'm not sure I have a direct answer to this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that to keep it together there need to be some choices made, but I think that falling in and out of love is something that cannot be helped or chosen, it just happens.

    And I know some people think you can't fall out of love once you're in it, but I don't believe that either. People are constantly changing and with that so do their likes, dislikes, values, pathos, whatnot, and their loves be it their love for foods, colors, or certain people in their life.

    ReplyDelete

My Dad. He's awesome.

John Messina, Personal Injury Attorney

Total Pageviews