Friday, May 11, 2012

F³A: Mothers

Back in the day
With Mother's Day right around the corner, I thought I would talk about my mom a little bit. 

My mother is one of the most wonderful people in the world. No, it's true. She came from a life of adversity. I'm not sure she'd like me telling her story here, so let's just say, things weren't easy. She didn't really have a father until my grandmother married the father of her brothers, she lived with her aunt for awhile, and she helped raise her three brothers.

Mom selling books at my release party
Wanting to escape, she married right after high school to a man who promised her the world, only to find disappointment. She ended up leaving that, but one beautiful daughter later. She put herself through school (one regret is that she didn't finish) and worked very hard to single handedly raise that daughter. She tells me working back in those days was exactly like it is on Mad Men by the way. lol.


She met my dad working tables at a nightclub. They married, had three more kids, the rest is history. 

She is one of the kindest people I know. She always tries to help those in need, sometimes to her own detriment unfortunately. She's generous, beautiful, smart, and funny. She donates time to Catholic Community Services and the homeless shelter here in Tacoma as well as donating money to other worthy charities. 

Me and my mom at Sundance
She is a light that draws people in and is loved by many. She has helped me in many ways, emotionally, *cough* monetarily,  physically. 

People tell her she looks like Shirley MacClain. 

I honestly believe it's possible I may not be here today if not for this woman. Love you Mom (she doesn't read my blog, not that computer savvy, but ya know).

Don't forget to do something nice for your mom this weekend. At least tell her you love her. I tell my mom every time I see her and sometimes when I don't.

Friday Scribbles:
Random iPod shuffle song:


Book of the Week: I'm going to go with a mother daughter book by my friend Carole Estby Dagg, The Year We Were Famous. Seriously intriguing story, read about Helga and Clara's story here.

Movie of the Week: Terms of Endearment. One of the best Mother/Daughter movies, PLUS Shirley MacClain.

Quote of the Week: "Grown don't mean nothing to a mother.  A child is a child.  They get bigger, older, but grown?  What's that suppose to mean?  In my heart it don't mean a thing."  ~Toni Morrison, Beloved, 1987

2 comments:

  1. Somehow I missed this blog... I have to say,your mom rocks! I will never forget what a warm welcome I received the first day I met her. I felt like I had been a part of the family for years. It's great to hang out with them on the deck and hear their stories.

    ReplyDelete

My Dad. He's awesome.

John Messina, Personal Injury Attorney

Total Pageviews