Friday, July 27, 2012

F³A: Is this thing on?

I'm wondering, some days on my blog I have a lot of comments, other days I have none. I know people look at my blog daily. How come so few comments? 

I started thinking about what  makes me comment on a blog or not. I mean, in truth, I've not had the time to look at a lot of blogs lately, but when I do, there are specific reasons why I comment.

I want to support my fellow bloggers. To show them that I read them.

Because I have something to add to the conversation.

If I don't comment it's usually just because I don't feel like I have anything useful to say or don't know much about the subject matter.

Sometimes I feel like I lose readers because I'm at times sporadic. Life gets in the way of my blogging and I'll go a few days or even a week without connecting with my audience.  I think that's detrimental to a blog. Maybe it's also because I'm all over the place with the blog. One day I'm talking about writing, then dating, then kids, then exercise...it's a blog about life really. I've decided to kind of keep focused on the writing aspect of my life, but you know, I can't stop myself from ranting if something comes up.

Do you have any insights as to blog trending? Why do you comment or not? Do you try to change things up when people don't comment?

Here's the Friday Scribbles, which I've not done in awhile either.

Next Pandora Song: Missed the Boat by Modest Mouse (The Head & the Heart channel)


Netflix of the Week: To be honest, I can't remember the last thing I watched. Let me think a minute. Oh, yeah, it was a movie called Spork. Think female Napoleon Dynamite. Well, kind of female, she's a hermaphrodite. Very funny.

Book of theWeek: The Wicked and the Just by J. Anderson Coats. Think, Medieval girls gone bad, as Jillian says.

Quote of the Week (because of recent events in my life): "Don’t interfere with something that ain’t bothering you none" ~ Old Wild west Talk

4 comments:

  1. Nice post, and much sympathy. A lot of times I feel like I'm blogging into a void. Which is nice, because it means I can get away with basically anything, but boring because I genuinely want my blog ( http://blacksheep20.blogspot.com/ ) to be a home for discussion and debate. You're right that real life gets in the way too often. Especially since, well, I have to prioritize the things I get paid for. Damn you, real world...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Megan,

    Sometimes I have to take time to process something that I read in a blog, and I generally forget to return to post a comment. Reading other blogs sometimes creates a bit of guilt since my "daily" blog happens about once every three months. Finally, if you post comments on everything, and like that person's Facebook posts and comment on those too, you start to feel like you will be perceived as a freaky stalker, or maybe even realize that you are a freaky stalker...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been really bad at commenting on blogs lately, especially since baby #2 arrived. Most of my blogging time gets split between writing my own posts and working on my novel in progress -- and I feel very guilty that people still comment on my blog when I'm not returning the favor.

    More often than not I cycle through my blogroll, read all the latest posts (including yours) and just when I'm about to comment the wife & kids call me away. By the time I get back to the blogs it's hours(or even days) later. So that's my excuse! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is sad to think I'm blogging into an abyss, but my stats say people are reading, so there's that I guess.

    And Mary, *snort* freaky stalker. haha.

    Chris, you get hella comments. Maybe I should be taking blog lessons from you. :)

    ReplyDelete

My Dad. He's awesome.

John Messina, Personal Injury Attorney

Total Pageviews