Saturday, July 14, 2012

Thinks that make you go hmmm...

Life has been nothing short of chaotic lately. I don't have a magic wand to make time slow down or annoying people to go away or life to be perfect, so I have to deal. I'm just not good at dealing. I'm learning, I really am. When something pisses me off, I take a deep breath and try to let serenity wash over me and let the moment pass. I try not to use the word "hate" although it's much too easy to say.



Some days I feel like the Tasmanian Devil, spinning out of control, leaving nothing but piles of rubble in my wake.

Some days there is so much going on in my head I can't process it all.

Some days I don't want to get out of bed.

Why, why why, you ask.

Hmmm....

People annoy me. Let me be more specific. Ignorance, stupidity, and meanness annoy and anger me.

Politics/religion. Yes, taboo subjects, but I'm going there. I'm tired of people downing a president who is doing the best he can with the eight year mess he was left with. I think it's wrong for the government to tell two people in love that they can't get married. I'm tired of people thinking the environment is fine, there is no such thing as climate change. I think when your clergy is abusing children, maybe it's time to rethink your policies and let them be married, or gay, or women. *cough* I'm done with that. I'm not trying to start any political or religious debates. If you'd like to say something in response to this, please feel free, but keep it civil and I'm sorry if I've offended anyone, but these are my opinions and I stand by them.

Day job. I love my day job. I'm good at what I do. But this week it made a very bad start to my weekend. I get tired of people not speaking up when they want to and then not keeping their mouths closed when they should. If you don't like my work, fire me, but I've done a damn good job.

Teenage girls. I'm pretty sure that's all I have to say there.


Writing. I'm not going to be specific here, but I think reviewers should be kind to writers and writers should be kind to reviewers. There is no reason to take personal jabs at either. I've seen a lot of ugliness on the net lately with regards to this, and it is nothing short of bullying on both sides. It needs to stop.

And I'm scared. I don't have an agent. I don't have a second book deal. My foreign rights for Never Eighteen are dangling in the stratosphere without a home. I've started querying, but it's frightening. It's something I never wanted to have to do again, yet here I am.

I have a book finished. This is good. I'm rewriting another. This is hard. I have so many projects I want to write, so many ideas. This is frustrating.  I don't have the time to write all the ideas swimming around in my head.

Sometimes I wish my brain would just quiet down and leave me be. But it doesn't.





6 comments:

  1. Megan: Your writing is wonderful. You've told a beautiful story about a teen nearing death.

    Reviewers are just what they are; sometimes they need attention and let's face it, writers love their books like children.

    If you need an agent, you will find one. Your work is too good to fade, thus the universe will find you a home.

    I share your angst. I think all writers do.

    By the way, that's an awesome post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Louann. I wasn't even really talking about myself re: the reviewers. But I've been seeing both writer and reviewer alike bashing each other and I think it's really gotten out of control.

    ReplyDelete
  3. May I suggest you contact the Taryn Fagerness Literary Agency for foreign rights? http://www.tarynfagernessagency.com/

    That's kind of their specialty, and perhaps since Never Eighteen is already published, they'll work out the rights for you without needing another agent in the mix.

    It's certainly possible to be successful in the industry without an agent. Don't let that be a crutch. You can self-publish, or you can negotiate with editors yourself. I've done both, plus I have an agent for my YA stuff, plus I'm seeking another agent for certain genre works. Bottom line is that you shouldn't limit yourself to only the success (or lack thereof) an agent can bring you. You've got a huge fanbase that will buy your work whether it's released from a Big 6 publisher, a small press, or if it's self-published. Readers don't buy based upon the publishing imprint; they buy the author's brand. And you have decent brand-recognition that you should put to work.

    Remember, if you get an agent tomorrow and a book deal the next day, it will still be 18-24 months before that book hits the shelves. If you decide to self-publish, you can have a work out on the market both in ebook and print in two weeks (if you do all the work yourself).

    Just my $.02.

    ReplyDelete
  4. And of course you're right Ian. And believe me, that is also an option for me that I'm taking seriously. :) Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Megan, thanks for putting your feelings out there. I spend so much time biting my lip because I just get tired of trying to defend our president. I am not sure when such blatant disrespect became acceptable, especially from people who couldn't straighten out their own lives in four years, let alone an entire country. Religion-I grew up Catholic, but I cannot let that blind me to the ills of the church or that reform is needed.

    I think that your writing speaks for itself, and I know that the right things will come to you, just not necessarily at the time that you most want them to. Do what fulfills you and brings you joy, and the rest will follow.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Mary. And yeah, when Obama got into office, things weren't exactly neat and tidy. And of course, I grew up catholic too, but the religion is just too archaic and I disagree with too much of what they believe to follow any more.

    Writing brings my joy. Maybe I just need to remember that first, I'm doing it for me, publication is the icing.

    ReplyDelete

My Dad. He's awesome.

John Messina, Personal Injury Attorney

Total Pageviews