Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Why Clowns Are Scary.


Seriously, I mean, were clowns ever really the beloved pranksters of the circus that they were touted to be, or have they always been the scourge of children and adults alike.


Coulrophobia-an abnormal or exxagerated fear of clowns, according to wikipedia. I take issue with it being called an abnormal fear. What's abnormal about it? What's abnormal is grown men dressing up in brightly colored clothing, with oversized shoes and painted faces, prancing about like ballerinas. That's abnormal.


I don't like clowns. I have adult friends who are afraid of clowns, and my twelve year old daughter is deathly afraid of clowns. Why? Because they're scary. But why are they scary?


Part of it is the groteque way they obscure their faces. Stark white, eyebrows in an angry "v", the big red nose of a drunk, and a wide frightening grin that looks like it could gobble you up whole.


Perhaps some of us had a bad experience with a clown in our childhood. Um, I would say that just being near a clown during childhood would have been a bad experience in itself. But that's just me.


Of course the media only encourages this fear. We have the Joker, Pennywise, Killer Clowns from Outerspace, that scary clown doll from Poltergeist that comes to life and tries to strangle the little boy. Yep, not helping with that fear of clowns people.


I think clowns should be banned from the earth. That includes mimes. Then children (and adults) all over the world could sleep better at night.
Just my two cents.


4 comments:

  1. Holy #$%&ing s@#$!

    seriously, that picture is freaking me out, and I'm going to have to delete you from my blog list until other blog posts pile on top of it.

    *shudders*

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know, Pennywise was sooo scary. I think maybe that might be my 12 year old's problem with clowns. We let her watch It when she was about 7 or 8, I think. I know, bad mom. It was my husband's fault.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hate Pennywise, but I L-O-V-E Tim Curry.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I find clowns "comforting". Doesn't that just creep everyone out? lol.

    ReplyDelete

My Dad. He's awesome.

John Messina, Personal Injury Attorney

Total Pageviews