Monday, August 10, 2009

The four songs that define the last four decades for me.


# 4, the 1970's.

This was a hard decision. It's not just that there are so many songs, but so many different types of music, rock, disco, and the Grease soundtrack. BUT, I think I'm going to have to go with Stairway to Heaven by Led Zeppelin. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81eSIwsLcWg

This was by far, one of the most popular songs of the decade, at least where I come from. This is the song everyone sang, the first song everyone learned to play on the guitar, the slow song everyone danced to. This song epitomized the feel of the 70's, for me at least.

It was the time of muscle shirts and feathered hair, bell bottoms and platform shoes.

We played baseball in the street and hung out at the roller rink.

There were jocks, car guys, metalheads, space cadets, and burn outs.

Levi's were lame. We would only wear Lawman, Sticky Fingers, and San Francisco's.

The family would sit around and watch MASH, Happy Days, and Three's Company.

In the theater I watched Star Wars, Superman, and my favorite movie at the time, Grease.

I crushed on Scott Baio, Matt Dillon, and John Travolta.

I read Where the Red Fern Grows, Where the Sidewalk Ends, and anything written by Judy Blume.

In 1979 I was ten years old.

Thanks for reading.

Kisses
:*
Megan

2 comments:

  1. Wow. Great topic, Megan. Hm. 70's music. I'd have to say my #4 song would be the Eagles' 'One of These Nights' - released in 1976, when I was 26 years old and recently divorced.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, the Eagles were BIG. It was a hard decision, but where I was from, Stairway to heaven was EVERYONE'S favorite song. LOL

    ReplyDelete

My Dad. He's awesome.

John Messina, Personal Injury Attorney

Total Pageviews