Thursday, April 26, 2012

Life in the Fast Lane

So lately I've been driving a lot, to school visits, to conference, to book release parties, and I have to admit, I'm a bit of a lead foot. Also, being Scot, Italian, and Aries, I'm a tiny bit impatient *oozing sarcasm*

I mostly stay in the very left lane. Slower drivers stay right, right? Stay right unless to pass, right? I seem to always be passing. I can't help it. It's just the way I drive. So I stay left.

Now, if I'm in that left lane and someone comes up behind me who is obviously traveling at a faster speed than I, I pull into the lane to my right and let them pass.  This is freeway etiquette, yes? That's the way I've always known it to be.

So why are the slower drivers so stubborn these days? It's like they make it a point now to get in the very left lane, drive slow, and stay put. I don't know how many drivers I came up behind who just stayed there. When I can, I'll just pass them on the right, even though I shouldn't have to and you're not supposed to, but what else am I supposed to do?

But if I can't? I mean, is it some evil plan to irritate all the left lane drivers of the world? And how about when it's a one lane highway, and clearly, the person in the front of the pack is holding EVERYONE else up. SLOW VEHICLE TURNOUT! What is so difficult about pulling into one of those very large parking strips and waiting until those of us who like to drive at least the speed limit go by? That is what the vehicle turnouts are for. And the signs used to say delay of 5 vehicles unlawful. Some of these assclowns have had 10 to 20! Not sure if they still use those signs, but they SHOULD! They're usually even warned at least a quarter mile ahead when the turnout is coming, so it's not like they don't see it until the last minute!

Do I drive too fast? Probably. But it's freeway politeness to get out of that very left lane if someone comes up behind you driving faster. It's like an unspoken rule. Be polite. You will be saving the person much frustration, road rage, and numerous obscenities.


2 comments:

  1. You know... I've lived on two different Washington borders and I've long believed Washington drivers are among the worst in the world (sounds like you are the exception). In fact in the Seattle area, I think they think the MIDDLE lane is the slow one and to either side gets faster, which is all well and good unless you are trying to exit... At least, though, you don't live in Idaho, where on a windy two lane highway, I've gotten behind tractors, manufactured homes and (totally serious here) cows. Cows go so slow you can't keep track, even...

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha, that doesn't sound good! I've had bad experiences with Oregon drivers as well. lol.

    ReplyDelete

My Dad. He's awesome.

John Messina, Personal Injury Attorney

Total Pageviews