Tuesday, July 17, 2012

The weirdness that is Amazon

So I'd been getting a little down, my Amazon sales ranking was sucking. Since I don't yet have a second book coming out, I keep trying to think outside the box about marketing Never Eighteen. I've been reading marketing books, etc.

Seriously, my rank was at close to a million. I wasn't on any of Amazon's weird lists.

Then yesterday I checked, and my ranking was like 57k and I was on two lists:

#13 in Books > 4-for-3 Books > Children's Books > Issues > Illness

 #65 (guessing, don't really remember what this one was, but it was somewhere around there) in Books > 4-for-3 Books > Children's Books > Issues > Death and Dying.

WTF?

My weekly sales are seriously up and down. Usually I do an event and they go up, but I've done nothing this week. Absolutely nothing.

This business is seriously insane.

4 comments:

  1. My advice to you is to stop looking and rely on your royalty statements only. I've elected to stay off the roller coaster and it gives me much more piece of mind to continue to write books the way I'd like to write them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the new blog design by the way!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazon's ranking system is currently broken. Books are missing sales ranks altogether or showing incorrect figures. They're working on it but right now don't trust any of those figures for good or bad.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Karla. It's hard to not look at stuff. Like Goodgreads. I look at that too, although that doesn't bother me anymore.

    Ian, good to know. Maybe I'll just pretend that when the numbers are good, it's right and when they're not, the system is broken. ;)

    ReplyDelete

My Dad. He's awesome.

John Messina, Personal Injury Attorney

Total Pageviews