Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Dreams to Fiction

Do you ever have dreams that you've turned into fiction? There have been nights I've had dreams, thought, wow, that would make a good book or written part of it down, only to wake up the next morning and say to myself, WTF was I thinking?

Last night was different. I pulled a Stephenie Meyer. Last night I slept like shit. Had nightmares all night that had me screaming myself awake. Dreams so real I could feel them.

But then I had another dream. A very vivid dream based on racial tension, taboo relationships, and injustice.

It was so good, I even wrote down the dream in my dream?!?! Seriously. When I woke up I was like, damn! I didn't really write that down. And I quickly grabbed a pen and notebook because the idea was already fleeting.

I think I got it all down. This idea is so good, I'm considering putting everything else aside to start it.

You ever have fictional revelations like that? When do you usually get them?

5 comments:

  1. I use my dreams for story ideas all the time, especially those that have no ties to my life. They are the ones that stick with me the longest because they are so odd. I think your characters were speaking loudly, 'write that story' just the little you shared sounds awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Yolanda. These characters were practically screaming at me to get writing. I love the idea of the book, it's sad, but hopeful, as are many of my stories. lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, excellent! I've had a couple dreams 'that good' though usually they just become cornerstones, rather than the thing overall. Still, totally love that. I generally run into the bathroom to write because hubby gets crabby if I turn on any lights. I also have really helpful wake/sleep first thing in the morning 'connecting' when i am trying to work out a transition or connection between pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never gotten an idea from a dream, but I have gotten inspired while I'm falling asleep. The idea for my WIP kind of came to me at one of those moments when you're almost asleep and then your brain focuses on a random thought.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome Hart! Cornerstones are good too. :)

    Melissa, any kind of inspiration is good. when you got the idea falling asleep, did you immediately get up and write it down, or wait until morning?

    ReplyDelete

My Dad. He's awesome.

John Messina, Personal Injury Attorney

Total Pageviews