Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Top four things I hate about Twilight. #3

Okay this is probably more a jealousy issue than anything else. But my #3 is her Cinderella story. Let's see, this Arizona housewife has a dream, about a sparkley man in a meadow talking to a girl. He's a vampire and he's telling her he loves her, but he's afraid he'll kill her. In three months the book is written.

I read somewhere that she didn't have to query very many agents, maybe fifteen or so? Can't find the facts now. Picked out of the slushpile at Writer's House, one of the biggest agencies out there. She gets a $750,000 three book deal from Little Brown.

Sickening isn't it?

That's all I'm saying about that right now. I want to go throw up.

Kisses :*

Megan

4 comments:

  1. yeah, I just puked a little in my mouth (again for the millionth time after reading Meyer's story)...She'll never know the pain.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think anybody should envy that kind of success. Especially in today's publishing market.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yup, Megan. It's an amazing, incredible story of luck... and it makes me sick with envy too. Gah. But, she has something there, even if the writing isn't the best, and the story has been told before, she hit a nerve, didn't she. Thanks for writing this series. I haven't read Breaking Dawn yet (hope to start it tomorrow), so I can't read your most recent post. But I have to say, even though I was almost in the Jacob camp, I've come to adore Edward. And no, Bella is not a good role model for teenage girls. And yes, obviously she's much hotter than she thinks. I think I don't mind that whole thing, since everyone (except bitchy Rosalie) keeps telling her she's much more beautiful than she imagines, etc. Anyway, I can't wait to read today's post after I've read the last book!!! I'm so obsessed with the series right now...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I recently read that most of the top agents receive anywhere between 800-1000 queries/submissions per week. Several of those agents reported that they could never get through them all in a million years and thus so many books go by the way-side.

    It IS an incredible stroke of luck that these book(s) got picked up, but must the obvious be stated?

    Q: Where the other books in that same slush-pile soooooo bad (like really bad) that this stinker seemed to ... er ... shine ... like a diamond (ahem)?

    Please I have a very hard time believing that at all.

    If that really is the truth, that people are submitting a lot of junk these days, then any writer worth their salt, writing in multiple genres, producing several manuscripts a year and pushing themselves to be wickedly creative ... could potentially become the next modern Shakespeare.

    Where's my coffee?

    ReplyDelete

My Dad. He's awesome.

John Messina, Personal Injury Attorney

Total Pageviews