Friday, July 2, 2010

F³A: Celebrating Our Freedoms

With Independence Day right around the corner, I thought I'd chat you up about our freedoms and traditions.

I do realize I  blogged about freedoms when Memorial Day rolled around, but I think we, and when I say we, I mean Americans, forget how good most of us have it.  We take for granted the things that other people only dream about.  Little freedoms, big freedoms, think about it.

Like right now, I'm sitting in a beach house, using my laptop to talk to people all over the world.  How cool is every little bit of that?  My kids are sleeping in their own room, in a comfortable bed, and they will wake to my famous cheesy eggs and ham.
I'm drinking purified water from a bottle and good coffee.

Little things.  Big things.

Last night we had an 80's DVD film fest (The Outsiders and Pretty in Pink). And today I think we'll go see Eclipse.  Little things.

All religions, races, and cultures are able to live in this country together in peace (mostly, don't get me wrong, I know there is still prejudice, bias, and bigotry, but still...) while other countries still kill for these reasons.  Big things.
So, how do you celebrate these freedoms?  Do you have traditions?  Or do you just see what comes up?

We've been going to the beach for a few years now.  We usually buy fireworks and shoot them off on a mostly abandoned beach on July 5th, which is way cool.  This year is a little different for reasons I'll not be going into at the moment.  This year will involved spending it with some family, bbq, hopefully some sun so we can play fun games like ladder ball, and water balloon volleyball.

And though I'm not pro war or anything, it wouldn't hurt to thank a soldier today, I know it's not a soldier-thanking holiday, but their sacrifices and just their presence make these freedoms possible.

So, have a safe and sane Independence Day.  Don't blow your arm off.

Ciao,

Megan


Current song on my iPod: Kandi by One Eskimo

Current read: Fatted Calf Blues, and anthology of short stories by Steven Mayoff.  And let me just say, I'm impressed so far.

Current watch: Percy Jackson and the Olympians: The Lightning Thief.  Will probably be watching this tonight.

Quotes of the week: "Independence is my happiness, and I view things as they are, without regard to place or person; my country is the world, and my religion is to do good." ~ Thomas Paine


"You cannot build character and courage by taking away man's initiative and independence." ~ Abraham Lincoln

"I am lord of myself, accountable to none." ~ Ben Franklin

5 comments:

  1. hope you have a great 4th megan! And yes, little and big freedoms. We are, in all senses, incredibly lucky and blessed.

    Enjoy those gorgeous girls and the sand and ocean.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! Have a great holiday...and enjoy Eclipse. I know I did.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We do have an awful lot pretty darned good. I hope you're having a fabulous beach holiday.

    I will say though, in the PNW you can get a vision that groups get along better than they do. People there are open and tolerant. I was shocked, moving to Michigan that racial and religious tension are almost embraced. There is effort... true discrimination isn't tolerated, but it is a tangible thing. And I think HERE is a lot better than the south. So be thankful for your region too--I know I miss it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, I think people in this area are more tolerant and open minded than people in other parts of the country. Though of course, I don't think you can escape bigotry all together in any part of the US. It's sad it still exists, but it does.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, thinking about you at a beach house! Kiss the sun for me!

    xo B

    ReplyDelete

My Dad. He's awesome.

John Messina, Personal Injury Attorney

Total Pageviews