Friday, April 22, 2011

F³A: Research

How much research do you do when writing?  Do you love it, or hate it?  Is it intensive or superficial.

I've done tons of research, but I can't stand it because it's usually when I'm in the middle of writing time, and I stop and go Crap, I need to know how to, or what is, or where is, etc.

I've looked up some weird stuff.  Death penalties, lethal injection, cutting, constellations, cancer, medieval villages and stature, suicide, the amount of tithes a large evangelical church receives and where the money goes, bloods and crips, aids, the list goes on and on.

While it's interesting, I almost wish I had a method to my madness so it didn't always take me away from my writing, you know, like having one of those . . . what are they called . . . outlines. ;)

I've never been an outline person. I just write.  If I do ever get stuck I write down point A and point B and make notes about what I want to happen in between.  Crazy I know, but then again, I'm a little crazy.

Tell me what kind of research you've done for your writing.  Was it interesting? A drag?

Happy Friday everyone, here are my nibbles.

Random iPod shuffle song: Just Breathe by Pearl Jam

Book of the Week:  Illegal by Bettina Restrepo.  I just got it from Amazon and can't wait to read it.

Movie of the Week: Rain Man my mom gave it to me because she thought the girls would like it.  I think she's probably right.

Quote of the Week: "Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing." ~ Werner von Braun 

Have a great Easter/Passover/whateveryoucelebrateordon't

5 comments:

  1. I find that researching is always a drag unless it is a subject that has caught my interest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everytime I research I say my mantra, Thank God for Google! The interesting thing about research is that most of it never goes into my books. I've found it's hard to write about something convincingly if I'm not confident in the character's backstory.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do hours and hours of research. However, for the most part, I don't let it interrupt an important train of thought - I just leave a marker and come back later when I have the answer. Sometimes I do research for things that never really get written into the story, but at least I know they are real - an example is a character's father where I researched the naval vessel, its ports of call and travels, and its personnel functions so that I could be sure what I wanted to happen really could have happened.

    I agree with Johanna - I have to believe in that backstory, even when it doesn't seem important.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I find it highly interesting, but time-consuming. It's tough to stop, research, go back to writing. But it's necessary.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for all your comments. Val, I think I'll try to follow your advice, make a note, and do it later, but sometimes it seems you can't move forward with a scene unless you research while writing.

    ReplyDelete

My Dad. He's awesome.

John Messina, Personal Injury Attorney

Total Pageviews