Tuesday, July 31, 2012

The Agent Search Has Begun

It's begun. I've queried two now, one through meeting at conference, one through referral. Yesterday I did my research on agentquery.com and came up with a list of fifteen more to query in the upcoming weeks. I'm thinking five a week.

I have a few top ten lists I'm going to go through. Top ten most queried, most accepting, most unresponsive, most rejecting, and research, of course, the most accepting and see if there are any that are a good fit for me, and try and avoid the other ones (they don't all rep YA btw). Of course one of my dream agents is on one of the other lists, so, you know, I can't avoid them all.

I've also gone back to the Blue Boards. It's been a long time, so I'm listed as a newbie again. :( I was a frequent poster before. The Blue Boards were pretty much my bible when I started the journey to publication. I'm in Verla Kay's debt for the invaluable resource.

I'm also curious, if I query an agent I know reps friends, do I mention that? Even if they didn't really refer me there? And if I mention them, do I mention that they didn't refer me there?  Maybe I should ask my friends, but getting some unbiased opinions would be good too.

Anyone else out there on the quest for an agent?

Okay, wish me luck.

15 comments:

  1. I wouldn't mention author friends in the query unless they referred you, but that's just my opinion. I'd mention it casually when they request your full (ie, my friend X speaks highly of you. . . if it's true. ^_^)

    I'll look forward to seeing you on the blue boards. I read, but don't post often.

    Best wishes on the agent quest. I'll look forward to hearing your good news.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should query Michelle Humphrey. She's my agent. I think she's very open and personable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the advice Angelina. I think I would probably hedge that way anyway. I could probably just tell him I'm familiar with their work.

    Stephanie, I think I will. I've queried her before and she offered to read one of my manuscripts for feedback and I really like her.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm actually in the peculiar predicament of having an agent but searching for a second. My current agent doesn't represent adult genre work, so even though she still reps my YA work, I have her blessing to seek a second representative. So Allie and I are searching for one to represent The Oilman's Daughter. You haven't really lived the misery of agent hunting until you try to find one to rep SF.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow. The idea of finding a second is mind boggling. I wish you and Allie the best of luck. I'm sure your novel will find a home.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  7. buy tramadol online tramadol hcl extended release - tramadol buy cheap

    ReplyDelete
  8. generic xanax xanax bars blue mg - xanax effects long

    ReplyDelete
  9. buy tramadol online tramadol withdrawal muscle spasms - take tramadol high

    ReplyDelete
  10. buy tramadol online tramadol ultram recreational - order tramadol free shipping

    ReplyDelete
  11. carisoprodol 350 mg soma carisoprodol tablets side effects - carisoprodol soma narcotic

    ReplyDelete
  12. buy tramadol online order tramadol online with mastercard - tramadol side effects 50mg

    ReplyDelete
  13. buy tramadol with cod order tramadol no prescription cheap - tramadol drug addiction

    ReplyDelete
  14. xanax online buy herbal xanax online - xanax bars how much to take

    ReplyDelete
  15. buy tramadol online buy tramadol paypal - tramadol hcl gout

    ReplyDelete

My Dad. He's awesome.

John Messina, Personal Injury Attorney

Total Pageviews