Friday, May 10, 2013

Tailored Ads

Does anyone else find this creepy or annoying? Like Google and Facebook are stalking you? I guess I used to find it amusing that Facebook always knew what I had been searching. At one point they were advertising online dating and weight loss. I was like, what are they trying to tell me?

Now it's getting to the point where everything I do online is being tracked. Last week they were advertising self publishing. This week it's cleats and soccer balls. And it's not just things I'm searching, it's also websites I visit. I use iStock to get stock images. I went to the Neptune Society to research an article for the day job. Has Google and Facebook collaborated to become today's Big Brother?

Are they using it like some kind of Chinese water torture. If they keep the ads there long enough, will I crack and click on it and finally buy the fucking cleats?

I feel like I have a stalker following me everywhere I go, watching my every move. I need a virtual restraining order. Of course, I'd never be allowed one because Google and Facebook pretty much own the internet.

So, does this bother you?

Okay, Friday Scribbles...

Next Pandora Song: 405 Death Cab for Cutie















Book of the Week: IDK, been too busy. Um, took a break from Divergent, as good as it is. Too busy writing, editing, revising. We'll go with my own book, Dissected, coming to Amazon this summer. :)

Netflix of the Week:  Um, haven't had time to watch anything either. I'll stick with Desperate Housewives. Still making my way through season six.

Quote of the Week:  "Advertising is based on one thing: happiness. And do you know what happiness is? Happiness is the smell of a new car. It's freedom from fear. It's a billboard on the side of a road that screams with reassurance that whatever you're doing is OK." ~ Don Draper

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Dad. He's awesome.

John Messina, Personal Injury Attorney

Total Pageviews