Oops, I mean lives.
Basically, we post the niceties in life, yes, sometimes our frustrations, but we don't take out our worldly problems on Facebook.
But here I can, because as my profile says, this is where I "rant, rave, and write."
three reasons I think
1) The royal baby. I don't give a shit about the royal baby. I'm happy that another happy couple is giving birth. Yes, it is heir to the throne in a country I don't live, but right now it's just a baby. I don't care, because there are bigger things in my life right now like...
2) Hearing five consecutive gunshots as I went from car to office that were close enough I thought the assailant might come around the corner and take me hostage. I ran, I also pulled the classic horror movie crap and almost dropped stuff and fumbled with my keys. If this were a horror movie, I'd be dead.
3) Facebook asking me what's on my mind.
So, as bitchy, whiny, or caustic as this may sound, I don't care about the royal baby. I don't care what kind of fucked up shit Justin Bieber will pull next. I don't care about the latest drug violation in the sports world. I don't care about the next celebrity death right now. Yeah, it's sad. Real people are born and die every day.
You know what I think about?
- Why my eyesight has deteriorated so quickly in the past few months.
- When my daughter will get past things.
- If my mom will be okay.
Sorry for being vague, I'm not going to bore you with details, but these are my real every day worries. Those are the bigger ones, I have tons of little shit too as we all do.
You know what scares the shit out of me?
- People falling out of rollercoasters.
- Dead bodies being found in trash bags.
- Women being held in basements for years with no one knowing.
- Someone being murdered simply for looking suspicious and finding no justice.
This shit scares me because it happens in our back yards. This shit is real.
This could happen to my kids.
I read this quote from Elizabeth Stone when my first daughter was just a tiny speck of a human, but I will never forget it because it is so true. “Making the decision to have a child - it is momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking around outside your body. ”
The real stuff, the stuff that happens to real people all the time, and sometimes you never hear about it because it's real people stuff, that's what I think about.
Between work and writing and kids and other life stuff, I just don't have time to think about people-who-get-paid-way-too-much-for-what-they-do and their problems, antics, and escapades.
Sorry. I just don't.
Ahhhhh, I feel so much better.
Sorry to unload on you. Feel free to do the same in the comments if you wish.