Monday, January 18, 2010

Top four things I hate about Twilight. #4


Okay, so this week I tell you what I DON'T like about Twilight. My #4 is the writing.

While I enjoy the concept of the story, and I appreciate the fact that Stephenie Meyer tries to be very literary at times, it doesn't work for me. Yes, fancy words are pretty to read, but not a novel they do make.

Too much internal conflict with Bella, yeah we get it, you're weird, you're in love with a Vampire, yes, he's the most beautiful person you've ever seen, get on with it already. And she's just some plain no one, yet every boy in school wants her? Um, yes, I get that there's that "new girl" novelty, but someone as plain as Bella is supposed to be would not garner that much attention. Plus the fact that she's a total introvert, and putting off.

The characters are flat and not very interesting. They have no personality whatsoever. The only one with any depth at all is Jacob. Hence why he was included in last weeks blog. And I'm sorry, who in their right mind would not pick Jacob over Edward. He treats Bella with respect, he'd do anything for her, he's hot, he's human, he loves her, he's hot...need I say more? Not until book four (I think) do we get any insight the the vampire back stories. It at least makes Rosalie more interesting, not so much the others.

And Bella is a horrible role model for teenage girls. Constantly being saved by Edward. I mean, really, does someone really almost die that many times? She was very lucky to have a vampire boyfriend and a werewolf best friend. er. And really, putting everything in your life aside for a guy? A dead guy who seriously doesn't treat you that good? A guy who treats Bella like a possession and is borderline stalker (yeah, I come in your room and watch you sleep every night, can you say, creepy?). A guy who when he leaves you, you just want to die. Yes, this is not a good lesson for today's female youth.


Okay, I guess that's it for today. Come back tomorrow for my number three.

Kisses :*

Megan

3 comments:

  1. It's true...Bella's the WORST role model for girls ever...yet sadly girls ID with her because they think they're as tortured (but not as stupid or pathetic)...it's weird how they can tease out the bits they like and don't like.

    And WHO would pick Edward over Jacob, anyway? That's right, those ladies who don't want distant, dismissive, "I know what's best for you men"...that's like, what, 10-15% of women...more Jacobs for the rest of us.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. "The characters are flat and not very interesting."


    YEP!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your final point describes exactly why I can't like these books or recommend them to my own daughter when she's older. I've been Bella. It's not a place any girl should have to be, and I would hate for her to have the same pain and degradation I experienced as a teenager at the hands of a vain psychopath idealized and seen as something to strive for in a relationship. It's the kind of thing that women have a hard enough time getting over without some rabidly popular series of novels making it seem ideal to be treated like crap or obsess over someone who treats you like crap to the point of completely ostracizing oneself from life, friends, and family. If Meyer had brought attention to the tortured mindset of teenage girls as she has here, but instead constructed a story that told them the importance of being strong, smart, and independent, and not allowing oneself to be manipulated by the strange whims of a dark, mysterious hottie, the series would have earned some of my admiration, even if I think she couldn't write herself out of a wet paper bag. ;)

    ReplyDelete

My Dad. He's awesome.

John Messina, Personal Injury Attorney

Total Pageviews