Wednesday, July 7, 2010

New Project

So, I'm kind of excited about this new project I'm working on.  Titled, Finding Nirvana, it's about a girl addicted to grunge and obsessed with Kurt Cobain, who goes on a journey of self discovery.  I think.  It's mostly still in my head.

But I'm excited to do some research on this.  On the way back from the ocean, I went through Aberdeen to find his childhood home (on the right).  There is a documentary on Netflix I'm going to watch, and an exhibit at the Seattle Art Museum.

Here's a little totally rough, brand new, unedited excerpt:


      My name is Lanie and I’m a grunge addict.  Yes I’m well aware that it’s 2010, and grunge was so 1990’s, but it wasn’t really a choice, it was a way of life.  At times I felt like I was born a decade too late.  I would have totally fit in with the Seattle grunge scene, but that was my mom’s life, not mine.  So deep into that scene, she chose to name me Layne Veddar Cobain Cornell Miller.  Ridiculous I know, but she couldn’t make up her mind between her favorite singers from Alice in Chains, Pearl Jam, Nirvana, and Soundgarden, respectively.  I decided when I started school that I would go by Lanie.  It sounded more, well, like a girl.
       When it comes to my dad, things get a bit more complicated.  You see, I don’t really know who he is, well, I kind of do.  He could be one of three guys, the first being Kenny James.  He’s a totally smart way cool dude who manages a couple local bands, the most “famous” if you can call it that being Toke.  The second might be BJ Dubois, the drummer for Drop Dead Lead, and no I don’t know if that’s his real name, or if he took the initials just to be funny or clever, which he’s neither, though he thinks he is.  He’s a bit socially retarded, but he’s nice, and not bad to look at.  The last contestant on “Who’s My Dad” is Doug “Spaz” Harris, singer of The Deceased .  If you knew Doug, you’d know exactly why they called him Spaz.  First of all he’s got Tourettes, so he tenses up and blurts out the most insane funniest shit at times, also,  on stage, he dances  like he’s having a seizure.
     These three are pretty much interchangeable to me, all white, all in their early thirties, all still living life as if they’re rock stars.  I can’t blame them really, I’ve got the bug myself and it’s hard to shake, plus I’ve never heard of a twelve step program for this kind of addiction.  When you look at those guys, there’s not one distinct feature you could point out and say, “oh, he’s GOT to be Lanie’s dad.”  I mean, my eyes are blue like Kenny’s, I have full lips, like BJ, and I’m tall and thin like Spaz.  I guess seventeen years ago my mother loved them all.  So there you have it. 

On a different note, I was invited to one of the Readergirlz Diva's book launch (Holly Cupala) and I'm so excited.  I've been wanting to meet some of these ladies since I started writing.  Only hitch, it's on my daughter's birthday.  Now, it's a teen book, and I can bring people, so I've talked to her about it and we're considering making a day of it in Seattle and getting a hotel room and stuff.  But I told her it's up to her. Still, it's exciting just to be invited. :)
That's all, let me know how you like the excerpt.
 Ciao,
 Megan

9 comments:

  1. The best place to do research on Curt Cobain stories would be to contact old timers at the Aberdeen Police Department. I talked to an officer here in Grays Harbor that said Cobain was a burglar as a kid, and would do stuff like plug sinks and leave the water on.

    Yes, Curt was a web bandit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the excerpt!
    I also love the name Lanie.
    Good luck with this project :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your character was very interesting. I definitely wanted to keep reading which is a major plus. Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like a great project! I think the 'Who's your Daddy' main theme is a nice overlay to the music scene and exploring thing. And I LOVE Grunge (still)--Alice in Chains is my favorite SOUND, but I love Nirvana, too.

    Have a told you about my friend who did the lighting stuff for Sound Garden for years? Not sure if I could track him down or not--he's not online, but I might be able to if you had a reason to want to talk to him. He was still in Seattle last I knew.

    Have fun with it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Hart. I'm psyched about the project. I hope it all works out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great premise. I loved grunge back in high school and college. Great excerpt. Keep at it.

    ReplyDelete

My Dad. He's awesome.

John Messina, Personal Injury Attorney

Total Pageviews