Friday, December 9, 2011

F³A: Things to play with

I went to the darkside.  Yes, by way of the e-reader. *bows to the book gods in apology*.  I bought the Amazon Kindle Fire.  Why you ask?  There are a few reasons.  First and foremost, friends I knew to be good writers were self publishing straight to ebook.  Drat!!!  There is one in particular, his name is Jeff Fielder, I've read his work and I think he's brilliant.  Anyhoo, he published some short stories in his book Voices in the Field and Other Stories.  Then you know what he did?  He put it out in paperback.  I told him he owed me $199 + tax and shipping.

Of course I was kidding because there are other straight to e books I'd like to read.  But that's not the only reason I bought the Fire.  In fact, reading on it is secondary (I still love the feel of a book in my hands and that book smell, yeah, you know what I'm talking about)You know that thing they call the iPad? Well, the Fire does most of what that thing does.  But cheaper.  And smaller (if you like that kind of thing).

The bad thing about my Kindle Fire?  I've had it about two weeks and still not been able to play with it.  Yes, that sucks.  I've pledged to spend some quality time with my Kindle this weekend.

Do you have an e-reader?  If so, what kind did you buy?  If not, what are your hang ups?

Oh, one more thing, Julia Karr, author of XVI (which I LOVED btw) is hosting some of us 2k12ers in her 2k12 Days of Christmas.  Check it out the deets here.

Friday Scribbles:

Christmas song of the week:  The Monkees Riu Chiu.  I saw this on their show and fell in love with it (it was REPEATS people, I'm not that old *cough*)

Movie of the Week: The Ref.  Funniest damn Christmas movie ever with Dennis Leary, Kevin Spacey, and Judy Davis.  If you've not seen this movie, you're not living.

Book of the week:  Still reading (slowly, not because of the book, because of my lack of time) The Wicked and the Just by J Anderson Coats.  Do you like war and cussing and medieval stuff.  Then buy it.  Now.  And I might add, J and I have become friends and she's kick ass awesome.

Quote of the Week: I've got two and they are both from one of my favorite books, Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury.

"Do you know why books such as this are so important? Because they have quality. And what does the word quality mean? To me it means texture. This book has pores."

"There must be something in books, things we can't imagine, to make a woman stay in a burning house; there must be something there. You don't stay for nothing."

That is all.  Happy Friday my friends.

7 comments:

  1. Ha! I AM that old!!! Love the Monkees clip!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you and I are in the exact same spot on the eBook/Kindle thing. I got one for my birthday. My mom asked me though, and the reason I said 'yes, that would be a good use of your hard-earned dollars' had MOSTLY to do with adding the option for writer friends to share their work with me at no cost to them. If they are promoting and want a review, I am happy to, but always felt guilty with 'erm, but you have to send a hard copy which costs you something and pay for shipping to boot'. I like a regular book better, but the Kindle is really growing on me. (I also love the cheap and free books out there. There are 'free books' up every day--some promotional, some classic)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I recieved a Kindle for my birthday this year so that I could save space in my dorm. And yes, it's nice that you can have hundreds of books on it. But in all seriousness, it is much easier to browse a book store than browse on a Kindle. When I purchase an e-book it's because I was specifically looking for it, not because it looked interesting and I picked it up off the shelf. I'll probably stick with paperback mostly, even if things do pile up in my dorm room.

    ReplyDelete
  4. pay up, Fielder!

    I'm getting the paperback. Woot! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I will reimburse you from my massive royalties.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm hoping to get to play with it today or tomorrow. Still so much to do before the holidays though.

    Jeff, thank you, I will expect payment post haste.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are kickass awesome! I don't know how you do HALF of what you do. But can you walk in red high heels? I'm trying to learn for Marissa's CINDER launch party.

    ReplyDelete

My Dad. He's awesome.

John Messina, Personal Injury Attorney

Total Pageviews