Tuesday, January 31, 2012

The riot act



I've been taken advantage of in the worst way. While I've been busy finishing a manuscript, marketing, helping plan a release party, writing guest posts, setting up school visits, creating a poster for upcoming events, setting up other writer events, exercising, editing, and all day soccer (three effin' games) on Sunday, my children have boycotted all housework.

The other day when I woke up, the garbage was overflowing (from a day of a house full of teenagers), and instead of taking it out, they decided it would be a good idea to pile it up on the counter and mixing it in with the recyclables. There is crap all over the house from them and their friends, candy wrappers, socks, shoes, various soccer items, other dirty clothes, empty juice pouches and water bottles, I could go on and on.

I woke up today to a sink full of dirty dishes. I've asked Thing One for a week to fold the laundry for a week. I asked her did she do it when she got home from the basketball game last night and she said no.

So, the riot act was read (maybe yelled a little at various spots). I reminded them of all the things I do for them (driving them everywhere, supplying them with food, a bed, clothing, allowing them to go to friends, allowing friends over all the time). Then I asked them what they've done for me this week. Dead silence. I said, "Exactly." They were pissed, but what else can I do? They tell me not to tell them what to clean, they'll do it on their own, but they don't. I also pointed out that if they were getting good grades, I may not be so hard on them, but they're barely pulling average grades.

I don't like having to be hardcore with them, but at times I get to my wit's end, and they're leaving for their dad's today, and they will clean before they go. And next week when they're back with me, it's going to be like living on a military base.

5 comments:

  1. LOL! You sure you were at your house and not mine... Every week I promise to go military on my kids. ...I'm halfway there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Think it's unfair to go Military on one but not the other? Thing one is staying fairly up to date, thing two not so much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. *sigh* were going trough a similar thing at my house. Now all our dishes are always washed & put away, as soon as garbage are 3/4 filled we throw them out but since all my siblings have been busy with school, we haven't properly cleaned. Vacuumed, dusted, wiped the living room and all that. so my mom is extremely mad and she relieved herself from cooking duties. She feeds herself, we feed our self. We're just as busy as her,and I know she does the most work around the house but everyday we contribute in some way. I blame education xD taking up all our time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This does not bode well for the coming years chez moi...

    ps if you figure out any foolproof tricks will you pass them down to me before child 1 hits puberty!

    ReplyDelete
  5. They are equally not doing their share in the house. I don't ask for much, laundry, dishes, garbage when it's full (I empty it too and pick up after myself, put my own dishes in the dishwasher, and I do the things like vacuum, keep the living area clean, so it's not like they're doing everything)

    Johanna, I will let you know if I ever find anything that works.

    ReplyDelete

My Dad. He's awesome.

John Messina, Personal Injury Attorney

Total Pageviews