Thursday, July 26, 2012

How much is too much marketing

Someone posted this link on facebook today: http://heyauthor.tumblr.com/ . I found it very funny, but it is telling. As writer's are we promoting ourselves too much. Yes, normally we are a bunch of narcissists, and we are trying to get our work out there to the masses, but as far as social networking goes, are we bombarding the internet with too much "hey buy my book" and not enough, "I'm just a real person, here's my life"

I admit, I don't Tweet all that much. I just don't have the time. And I do try to interact with people on there, but I feel like I'm lost because I'm just not on there enough, though I would like to be more. So yeah, I Tweet writing stuff. I also promote friends writing stuff. I also asks questions which no one seems to answer (because I just honestly think I'm not on there enough.

And I have heard that when social marketing like 25% should be marketing, the rest, just real life stuff. Or something like that. Don't quote me. So maybe I'm screwing up on my Twitter.

However, on Facebook, I think I'm doing it right. I have my personal page, and then I have an author page. So on my author page I write all about my author stuff. On my personal page, I mostly write about life, but if there is important writer stuff, like an event, or an awesome review, yeah, I share it.

I don't do much else as far as social marketing goes. I Tumble, which I've hardly done, and yeah, I've used it for writing, but I only have two posts. I Youtube, but that's pretty  much about writing too and people know it. When I veered off to life, people stopped watching me :( So I'm going to get back to a writing Vlog. Soon. Hopefully.

So, what do you think? Do you think writers go overboard when social networking? Or do you think it's just part of the biz? Would you unfriend/unfollow a writer who did nothing but tout their writing?

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Dad. He's awesome.

John Messina, Personal Injury Attorney

Total Pageviews