Friday, April 3, 2015

National Poetry Month: Langston Hughes

 As I was looking for a poem for my blog today, I decided to go with something by Langston Hughes. When I came across the one below, I thought how apropos it is to our times still! He was a peaceful activist for civil rights and often wrote about oppression. I was trying to find the date this was written, but only found one answer, 1926, so I hope that's right. If anyone can confirm that, let me know. 

To me it's sad that in this day and age people still have to fight for equal rights and against discrimination and bigotry. In many ways I suppose we've come a long way, but we still have miles to go.

I Dream A World Poem
 by Langston Hughes


I dream a world where man
No other man will scorn,
Where love will bless the earth
And peace its paths adorn
I dream a world where all
Will know sweet freedom's way,
Where greed no longer saps the soul
Nor avarice blights our day.
A world I dream where black or white,
Whatever race you be,
Will share the bounties of the earth
And every man is free,
Where wretchedness will hang its head
And joy, like a pearl,
Attends the needs of all mankind-
Of such I dream, my world!

  
 
















Marriage Equality Act photo by the  Celebration Chapel of Kingston NY

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Dad. He's awesome.

John Messina, Personal Injury Attorney

Total Pageviews