Thursday, March 19, 2009

Introducing...Me!

Mood: Tired
Current Read: Nasty (by my friend Bret Wright, Review to come soon)
Listening to: The sound of my keyboard clacking underneath my fingers
Current Write: Rough Waters

Welcome to my first blog. My name is Megan, and I'm a writer. It sounds like I'm introducing myself at and AA meeting, doesn't it? Sometimes I feel like there should be a 12 step program for writers. You know, just to keep us going, get us through, stop us from giving up our dreams.

Step One: Admit that you have talent, and that talent should be shared with others.
Step Two: Whenever you question your sanity, you should probably be writing.
Step Three: Make the decision to write every day no matter what.
Step Four: Search within yourself for your story.
Step Five: Don't be afraid to tell people you are a writer.
Step Six: Be entirely ready to face rejection.
Step Seven: Realize you have shortcomings and you will probably need to edit and edit and edit again.
Step Eight: Make a list of your goals, and try to see them through.
Step Nine: Realize that not everyone will like your work.
Step Ten: Take critiques with an open mind.
Step Eleven: Realize that it may take many no's to get one yes.
Step Twelve: Never give up.

What do you think? Does that work?


Okay, aside from being a writing addict, I'm also a social networking addict. I have a profile at Amazon.com, Myspace, Facebook, Jacketflap, and I'm sure other sites that escape me right now. It only seemed the natural order of things to start a blog. So, here I am.

As far as writing projects go, I have started a Middle Grade series, the first book being titled, Dena Powers: Superhero? I have three finished, yet unedited books completed in the series, and have up until this point been actively trying to get the first book published.

I also have a work of adult fiction complete, titled, What Gets You In. What happens after we die? It's not really a religious piece. The story is about thirteen people and their journey into the afterlife.

My newest finished manuscript is called Mending Fences. The protagonist, Austin, sets out on a journey to restore the lives that have broken around him. Why? Well, you will have to read the book when it comes out to find out.

My other hobby is video. I have a video series called Chronicles of an Aspiring Writer. They can be found on youtube, here http://www.youtube.com/user/itlnbos and also on my Facebook profile. I'll be posting them here in the near future.

I guess that's all for now. Thanks for reading me. Hope you come back often.

Ciao!

Megan

13 comments:

  1. Step six should be reiterated thrice. It, of course, is the most evil of truths.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The twelve steps should be posted above every aspiring writer's computer. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great blog, Megan. Keep it up.
    And you can visit me at chaosawritersjourney.blogspot.com

    It's also my thoughts on being an aspiring author. I got the title from "Fighting Chaos", which was my first novel.

    Loved the 12 steps.

    Michael

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent, Megan! May I suggest an addendum to step number six? Something along these lines: Have a plan in place for those days when the rejection threatens to get the best of you; it should include an indulgence like chocolate, or the big bottle of Stella Artois, or a hot bath and a good book, or a hike in a canyon.

    My plan combines yoga and very dry vodka martinis.

    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Cathy, great addendum. Mine usually includes red wine or Starbucks. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice first post. Oh and never be afraid to post on Non-writing stuff that tickles you too...it's your blog after all...plus there's only so much writing stuff one can comment on.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. btw, my very first word verification for your blog was 'astagg'...yeah say it phonetically :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good luck with your blog. Nice article to open with.

    ReplyDelete
  9. "Search within yourself," and "Never give up" need to be COMBINED. Sometimes, the story you're meant to write isn't the right/write one at all! I have published five novels, but in writing my spiritual memoir right this second, I am clear that THIS was my writing genre. It's only taken thirtysomething years to find out....so, advice from a middle-aged, very published writer: be flexible. Listen to what the universe is telling you. If you're CONSTANTLY rejected, think seriously about writing a different kind of book. Don't stop writing, but write different.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great comment Jody, thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete
  11. i have nothing to add to this right now. oh, write now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Just came here to your blog after learning of it from your video review of "Greyhound". Yikes, somewhere there is a parallel universe in which you are a published author. Or am I looking into the future of this universe? Or did you just learn you've been published but not had time to post the video? Is that somehow consolation? Now that you have joined the one billion bloggers on this planet (not to mention all the other planets somewhere with blogging life), standing out is hard. Or does it just take an act of will! Not that that pays bills. But, having just watched a few of your video reviews, I'd say you are a winner already. We just need to arrange the video review contest and pitch it to Jeff Bezos. Or have you done that?

    ReplyDelete

My Dad. He's awesome.

John Messina, Personal Injury Attorney

Total Pageviews