Friday, November 9, 2012

F³A: Frustration

I kind of ranted  yesterday to my supports at the Class of 2k12. I'm frustrated with this business. I'm burnt out. I'm tired of promoting the same book. I want a new book out there to promote. But these things take time and time is something I have very little of. I already have three books done. But I need time to revise, to query, and to get a new one written and go through the same process.

While I'm doing that I have to work a day job, attend kids soccer games and music performances and spend time with them. Spend time with my boyfriend. Shop for groceries, clean, do laundry, exercise, eat, sleep.

Promote that damn book.  I think I'm going to hang it up with the book though. I'm tired of it. It's going to have to sell itself from now on. I mean, I have a couple visits already scheduled, one each month until February, but then I'm done. Until the next book.

And the next book...I think I'm only going to agent shop until the end of the year, then I'm seriously going to look into self publishing. I don't know 6% of sales as opposed to most of the % of sales. Yeah, I'll need to hire an editor, maybe a cover designer, or at least someone to consult because I can pretty much design my own. I can make my own trailer, design my own swag.

I have friends that have done this. They like it.

I have a fan base. Many of them are just waiting for my next book to come out. If I wait to be traditionally published, if that even happens again, I'm looking at 2-3 years from now. Are those fans even going to care by then? Probably not.

I do feel good about one thing. I'm writing a new book during NaNo. I still like writing.

What would you do?

Friday Scribbles:

Next Pandora Song: Icky Thump by White Stripes (Beck Radio)

Book of the Week: Um, book: I've not had a damn moment to read, so...we'll go with my Rainmaker Retreat manual from my legal marketing conference.

Redbox of the Week: The Avengers "Puny God" favorite line.

Quote of the Week: "Laughter and tears are both responses to frustration and exhaustion. I myself prefer to laugh, since there is less cleaning up to do afterward."
Kurt Vonnegut

Happy Friday 

2 comments:

  1. Man, you and I could be the same person. I could have written this post. Except i don't have a boyfriend... but the hubby has health issues, so he takes as much time as a boyfriend would.

    I have some queries submitted... no nibbles so far, but I've only heard back from two... need to submit more.

    My own self-pub deadline is my spring royalty check--that is when I would have the money to do it without borrowing, so I will try traditionally until then. Then I would edit TWO and put them out about three months apart. I think the key to self-pub success is having a SHELF rather than a book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm having some health myself, which aren't fun and I'm constantly tired which doesn't help, but I'm on my vitamin regimen and supplements so hopefully that will help.

    I'm going to keep querying until the end of the year, but still, the thought of a release date 2-3 years from now, ugh. I get a bonus at the end of the year. So I should be able to do some self pubbing. I've got three books done, just need editing, soon to be four, which will be a series, and I've got some other ideas up my sleeve. I just know I want this life. I WANT to be a writer. sigh.

    Good luck to you Hart. I believe in you. You've worked hard to get where you are too.

    ReplyDelete

My Dad. He's awesome.

John Messina, Personal Injury Attorney

Total Pageviews