Tuesday, February 2, 2010

The Power of Prayer?


Is it hypocritical to pray when you're not even sure you believe in god? If you don't practice any kind of organized religion? Would I be remembered?

Does he(or she) hear those of us that haven't prayed in so long we can't remember? Or do our prayers just dissipate as soon as they leave our lips? Or does he just let them go unanswered?

What if we truly believe in what we're praying for? Would that matter? Would it matter if who we're praying for believes?

I've been so moved by people's plights as of late that I've turned to the big man (woman?) in the sky. I mean, it's worth a shot, right?

That's all, just random thoughts.

Kisses :*

Megan

6 comments:

  1. Prayer is always a good thing, as long as the thoughts are good. Even science is backing this up these days. As they say, "thoughts are things." The way we think, what we think about, actually influences the universe. This is a scientific fact, according to quantum physics.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I've heard this before. A friend and I had a long talk about quantum physics and while that is also hard to put faith in that, it makes some sense.

    Thanks for responding.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hm. I believe the power of prayer in medical situations was debunked by a study in about 2006 or 2007. The power of positive thinking, however, continues to impress in all situations. So if you define prayer as explicit hoping, I think it's helpful. :-)

    As to your questions: no, it's not hypocritical to pray even when you aren't sure who's listening. And in my opinion, not participating in organized religion does not mean that one doesn't hold strong and sincere beliefs. My own belief is that we're all connected by the thing that gives us life - whatever it is - in a sort of cosmic web. Praying is just pinging on the web, making it vibrate with hope. Pray away, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Cathy. That puts things into perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like Matthew 7:vs7, Megan. It states: "Ask, and you will receive; seek, and you will find; knock, and the door will be opened. For everyone who asks receives, he who seeks finds, and to him who knocks, the door will be opened."

    If we draw close to God, even if we are not sure about Him; he will draw close to us and answer. Especially in troubled times like we are living in.

    Betty K also known as Liz in her writer life.

    ReplyDelete

My Dad. He's awesome.

John Messina, Personal Injury Attorney

Total Pageviews