Wednesday, June 2, 2010

The Sun

I know I blog about the sun way too much, but I'm solar powered.  Without it, I'm fairly useless.  Yes, I have my happy pills, yes I take vitamin D, but it's not the same.  A pill cannot compete with the big ball of fire in the sky, it's rays beating down on the pavement, filtering through my window, and hitting my face.

Yes, I understand I live in the Pacific Northwest, but we are normally allotted three months of almost uninterrupted sun. 

The picture you see here, I took from my living room window this morning.  It's what I've seen, not for days, but for months.  Rain streaked windows, wet sidewalks.  I thought last year was bad, the skies were gray from October until March.  Um, it's June people.  June when summer begins.  June when the sun is supposed to start shining.  June when I can sit outside under the sun and read a book, where I can start walking outside, when I take my laptop out to the backyard and write in the heat.

Yet, it's still pouring down rain and the sky is still gray. 

Leaving you with a poem I wrote about the sun.


White hot heat
Shimmering brilliance
Humid and inviting.
Filling vacuous voids,
The sinister chasms that
cause eternal downpours
and bone chilling rime.
Perpetual motion
Not to think or cast shadows
No moss collected
merely flow like the current.
Vivid hues, downy clouds,
fluid and weightless
blissful and tranquil

I wait for the dark to subside.

Ciao,

Megan

8 comments:

  1. Megan, sweetheart, I don't know if you have noticed, but you live in, like, the worst possible part of the country for a person who needs sun. (Yeah, like that's news to you!)

    I love the poem.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah, I know. born and raised never moving. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Megan:
    I really concur with what you say here. In the past I've suffered from S.A.D. in the wintertime so I usually try and get away for a week or two, but this is getting ridiculous. I suggest we start building a really big ark.

    I also love the poem.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aw, thanks much Betty. I know, I'm ready to get on an ark and make my way to Hawaii, or maybe the bahamas ANYWHERE the sun it shining. I'll pick you up on the way. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think you may be misremembering Junes. My birthday is June 23, and when we were in Portland, I was well aware it was still rainy season. It's funny, because my daughter, with a late April birthday, could usually count on an outside birthday party. Me, in late June? Not so much.

    I hope the sun finds you soon. I am like you about getting energy from it, and I KNOW how wearing the gray can be, so i hope it leaves you alone, soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Hart. Yes, June's are wet, but we usual have some damn sun by now :(

    I'm hoping it doesn't stay away too much longer.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I LOVE the new look of your blog!! If that's not some sun shining right there, I don't know what is! Adorable!

    And, yes, I need the sun too. Toronto is usually pretty reliable, but the last few years have been miserable. BUT this year (and I hate to rub it in) has been spectacular. Oh, man, love me some sun.

    Come visit! xo Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Barbara. I just happened across that template and I was like, yep, that's me.

    And believe me, much more of this gray and rain, you probably will find me on your doorstep.

    :)

    ReplyDelete

My Dad. He's awesome.

John Messina, Personal Injury Attorney

Total Pageviews