Monday, May 16, 2011

Monday Morning Blahg: Surprises

So, I had a whirlwind weekend that only a handful of people knew was taking place.  I decided to surprise my friend, Gae Polisner, by showing up at her book release party Saturday night at the Book Revue (a wonderful Indie bookstore in Huntington, NY.  If you're ever in the area, you should go there and buy a book in support of your indie book stores)

I flew into JFK Friday afternoon, took a shuttle to my hotel, which was the Melville Long Island Marriot (which was the loudest hotel on the face of the planet.  There was a Lutheran convention, four weddings, and a graduation all that weekend and they put me on the first floor).  That night I had dinner, a couple glasses of wine, and worked on my work in progress, Sad.

Saturday I did much of the same, then had a cab come and take me to the Book Revue.  (my cab driver was extremely nice)  I walked in, first person I saw was Gae's husband, David, who did a double take, of course, not knowing I was showing up.  I searched around for Gae, but couldn't find her so I slid between a couple of bookshelves, and who do I run into?  Gae.

The expression on her face was priceless!  I wish I had my video camera going, but she probably wouldn't have let me post it anyway.

It was an incredible experience.  I got to meet authors James King (Bill Warrington's Last Chance) and Mike Sullivan (Necessary Heartbreak).  My friend and fellow writer Christine Beth Reish was there.  And I got to see so many of Gae's friends (too many to name, sorry) that I'd met last year when I ventured to NY.

Gae was brilliant, and cool calm and collected (though she'd tell you she wasn't).  She screened her book trailer, which was brilliant (and which I had a tiny hand in), she spoke about her journey, and read from her novel, The Pull of Gravity (which I read on the plane home and love love loved).  Then she signed books for a throng of people there to support her. 

We went back to her house for dinner then they drove me back to my hotel, which was nice because I pretty much just imposed on them. :)

The next day was awesome (except the flight home, not talking about that anymore, if you're friends with me on Facebook, you can find out why)  I got to hang out with Gae and Christine all day just talking about writing and life, and the publishing process, and why Christine's beautiful novel, Facade, hasn't been picked up yet (any agents reading this should contact her, seriously)

All Gae's friends kept telling me what a good friend I was for showing up and surprising her, but in truth, she's the good friend.  She has gotten me through (and continues to) many dark days. She's helped me (and so many others) become better writers, and she deserves all the success she finds.

Pic up her book, The Pull of Gravity.  I don't think you'll be disappointed.

By the way, I have a guest post, interview, and review of Never Eighteen on the Reading Housewives of Indiana blog today. I'd love if you'd check it out.

3 comments:

  1. I've run out of words to even try to explain how surprised and moved to tears I was. Can I just keep saying VERY? VERY. VERY. VERY!

    I will never forget that extraordinary show of support. It meant everything.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for blogging about our blog! :) It was great to have you!

    ReplyDelete

My Dad. He's awesome.

John Messina, Personal Injury Attorney

Total Pageviews