Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Tuesday Tips: Conception

How to get and remember a brilliant idea.

When an idea for a novel pops into your head, write it down, wherever you are.  I know what you're thinking.  What if I'm in church, bathroom, Dr. appointment, etc etc.  Write it down on anything as soon as humanly possible.

I carry a small notebook/notepad everywhere I go. If I get an idea, I'm always able to write it down.  I know you guys don't carry purses, so this may not be as easy for you.  Get a jotter to keep in your back pocket or coat pocket.  Or buy one of those man purses (I know, it's a satchel).

Oh, and along with that notebook, you'd better have a pen.  Otherwise the notebook is useless of course.

If you for some reason forget your notebook, write the idea down on whatever's handy, a napkin, coaster, piece of toilet paper, your hand. 

Also, keep a notebook by your bed.  You never know when that totally wonderful original concept will come to you.  Think, Stephenie Meyer.

In the beginning of my writing days, I would often have a brilliant idea, only to lose it before I got home because I had nothing to write it down on.  I've probably lost out on a best seller because of this. :)

Stay tuned next Tuesday for another writing tip.

Until tomorrow,

Megan

1 comment:

  1. I keep a notebook by my bed and in my car. I use them ALL THE TIME. It's probably the best writer tip you can give!
    B

    ReplyDelete

My Dad. He's awesome.

John Messina, Personal Injury Attorney

Total Pageviews