Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Wednesday Whimsy

I love whimsy, so I thought I would change my Wednesdays from Writing to Whimsy (which really means I can pretty much do whatever it is I want).

I just read something interesting about where the word Wednesday originated from.  The day is named after two gods, Mercury and Woden.  If you're saying to yourself, wtf?  You probably wouldn't be the only one.

In old English, the word  indicates that the day was named for the Germanic god Woden, also known as Odin.

In the more romantic languages the day is named after Mercury (Wednesday in Italian is Mercoledi).

 Woden (or Odin) was like an uber god who supervised (i.e. was too lazy to do himself) the creation of the earth and sky  from the dead body of the giant, Ymir. He also created the first man and woman from an ash tree and an alder. And just to one up the rest of the gods, he also established the laws of the universe.
 
Of course we know Mercury as the  flitty little messenger of the gods, you know, the one with the wings on his helmet and sandals.  He is also the patron of science, the arts, travelers and athletes.

And of course we all know why we call Wednesday, "hump day", right?

That's all.  Have a whimsical day!  Love ya!

Megan

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Dad. He's awesome.

John Messina, Personal Injury Attorney

Total Pageviews