Friday, October 25, 2013

F³A: Little Disasters

I went to the Red Cross Real Heroes Breakfast a couple days ago. If you haven't heard of it, I'll lay it out for you. You know the Red Cross helps people all over the world with major disasters every day. Well, there are people in your community that help people with their own personal disasters too.

For instance, they honored a ranger just back from Afghanistan who broke into a 2nd story sliding glass door to save a couple trapped in a fire. Five teenagers that stayed behind, while others left, to do CPR on a man who had seized after having a heart attack in a church gym. A husband and wife, who did not hesitate to come to the rescue of a couple and their two babies when they smashed their car into a telephone pole...and others. You can actually read all the stories here.

The stories are inspiring and make you want to be a better person. I feel like I'm one of those people who don't pass by when I see people in need. I think I'm that person who would run into a burning building, or initiate CPR. Even little things...

Driving into the gas station the other day and I notice this kid at the air pump. His bike is leaning up against the pump and he's fishing through his pocket in obvious need of change. For some reason, air isn't free any more. There are four or five other cars at the gas station, just ignoring him. And this kid was obviously not a derelict, meth head or crook.

How hard is it to dig into your purse, car or pocket for some loose change?

By the time I parked my car and dug for my change, the kid had almost given up.

I found some quarters, "Do you need some change?"

"I just need a quarter."

I hold my hand out and he comes to get it and thanks me.

Little disasters. A little helping hand.

It literally hurts my heart (yes literally, my chest is in pain as I write this) how apathetic we are as a society any more. Yes, it's easy not to volunteer our time, we are busy, I get that. But when you see a kid who just needs to pump his tire up...can't you at least give him some change?

I think that's why as a writer I try to visit schools and so far I've done it for free. (I think I've been paid twice, and I think those were both libraries, but I could be wrong). I am busy, my life is chaotic, hence the name of my blog, but I would like to do a better job with my volunteerism. I've already offered my services to my college alumni association and a new non-profit dedicated to at risk youth. I would also like to volunteer at my local children's hospital, but so far, only seem to have found the time to open my check book for them.

And I do hope that I am one of those people, like the ones I saw honored the other day, that can dive into a black lake to find a drowning child, or stand strong so that someone fighting for their life can find their way back.

I do not want to be one of the apathetic. I do not want to ignore those that need my help...

Okay, Friday Scribbles...

Pandora queue song: Monster by Imagine Dragons

Book of the Week: I bought Insurgent. I haven't started it yet, but I'm excited to.

Netflix of the Week: I've watched nothing this week, so, you pick!

Quote of the Week: There were actually a couple I liked...

"A hero is no braver than an ordinary man, but he is brave five minutes longer." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

In the heat of battle, heroes emerge, sometimes from the most unlikely of sources.
BRIAN HERBERT & KEVIN J. ANDERSON, The Butlerian Jihad

Read more at http://www.notable-quotes.com/h/heroes_quotes.html#f9VKR1lpSb0MBtI4.99
"I think a hero is any person really intent on making this a better place for all people." ~ Maya Angelou

"In the heat of battle heroes emerge, sometimes from unlikely sources." ~ Brian Herbert & Kevin J. Anderson

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Dad. He's awesome.

John Messina, Personal Injury Attorney

Total Pageviews