Friday, October 30, 2009

Friday Free For All: Why NaNo?


The question came up on an online forum, why NaNo? The poster suggested that if you're writing 50,000 words in 30 days you'll be writing nothing but crap. Right? I don't think so.

First of all, I know a lot of people who've started writing books, but never finished. I think this is great opportunity to see a project all they way through. To complete it.

And isn't every opportunity we write an opportunity to improve our craft? It is said that if you write, you should write a little bit every day. Do you do that? I know I don't. During Nano I do though. I'm practicing, honing, getting better with every word I write.

You may be writing something you're resigned to just scrap at the end. I could never do that. If I'm going to write, I'm going to try and make it something worth reading. I'm going to make it something, that when Nano's all over, I want to revise and turn into something great. Last year I wrote Mending Fences. Yes, there were about 5,000 words of crap, but when it ended, I took that manuscript and edited and revised and transformed. Now it is a novel that has garnered the interest of agents. Something I think can get me published. Definitely not a waste of my time.

Honestly, I'm always up for a good challenge. I have a very competitive nature. This is also a way to satisfy my competitive spirit.

So, why NaNo? To improve my craft, to write something, to finish something, to challenge myself. Worth the time? Definitely.

To register for NaNoWriMo click here.

To buddy up with me for NaNo, click here.

Happy Writing!!!

Song of the Week: Soul Meets Body by Death Cab for Cutie

Movie of the Week: American Psycho (Love me some Christian Bale)

Book of the Week: The Unearthed by Brian O'Rourke (getting started on this next week, you can find my review of Bloodroot on Amazon or my Angsty Writer Book Review blog)

Quote of the Week: “Nothing can cure the soul but the senses, just as nothing can cure the senses but the soul" ~ Oscar Wilde

5 comments:

  1. I think what a lot of people don't realize is that the first draft of anything we write is total crap. Who cares if we wrote it in 30 days or 3 months? lol In fact, I think the concept of writing without inhibition can be so great for the spawning of original ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me too Allison. It's actually my writing style anyhoo. I write with reckless abandon, then I go back and say "what the...?" then I edit. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Megan, I can certainly understand why someone wouldn’t participate in NaNo. If it doesn’t fit any of a person’s goals, then why do it? I get that.

    But I can’t abide by people – writers in particular – trashing it. It’s a challenge. It’s a heady challenge. And it should be fun.

    My goal is to write a lot and to write everyday. It is going to get tiring but I want to be productive everyday. It doesn’t matter if it is crappy. It’s a first draft. It is suppose to be crappy. In fact, it will be crappy whether I write a novel in 30 days or in 30 months. It’s a first draft. And you can’t improve something until you do something.

    My overall goal is to finish a novel, regardless of length. In December, or more likely January, I will decide what to do with it. But certainly, a like of rewriting and editing will be involved.

    Michael

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dang, wish I were finished with THROAT, I'd jump right in there with you! Maybe I could start a week late or sumpin and go like gangbusters to catch up.....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Michael, buddy me if you haven't already.

    Russ, do it. start a week late. Are you almost finished with revisions?

    ReplyDelete

My Dad. He's awesome.

John Messina, Personal Injury Attorney

Total Pageviews