Monday, October 26, 2009

Top Four Ways to Get Through NaNoWriMo: #4


For those of you unfamiliar with NaNoWriMo, that stands for National Novel Writing Month. This is a personal challenge, the only reward is your own accomplishment. In the month of November, writers from around the world commit to trying to write a 50,000 word novel in the month of November.

Last year was the first year I participated, and I was a "winner", Mending Fences being the finished product. Of course, having to write 1,600 words a day is no easy task. You don't always get your best work, but you may have something you can work with, edit, revise, and turn it into something good, which I believe I have done with Mending Fences.

This year's novel will be titled Lockdown, a YA novel about a school shooting. (cover art done by my friend Jeff Fielder)

And one of the ways I'm going to get through this is by my #4, outlining.

I normally don't outline. But I thought, if I can create some of the characters in advance, and set a time-line, this may help me see it through.

So, that's it. Good luck to all of you participating in NaNo this year.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Megan,
    Looking forward to reading the next three tips--this year will be my first attempt at NaNoWrMo. I keep trying to convince myself that this will be a great experience in not taking my writing so seriously...but, really, just thinking about writing 1600 words a day makes me feel very, very tired.

    Cheers!
    Leslye Walton

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's hard, but doable. good luck. you can buddy me on the site if you want. meganbostic is my user name.

    ReplyDelete

My Dad. He's awesome.

John Messina, Personal Injury Attorney

Total Pageviews