Monday, March 15, 2010

Human Nature: Jealousy


"Envy is the art of counting the other fellow's blessings instead of your own." ~Harold Coffin

This is so true, isn't it? Jealousy is ugly, but it's human nature, right? I think if someone were to say they had never been jealous, they would be a liar. I know I've been guilty, many times.

But even when we feel jealous, we don't need to act on it. It's one thing to feel it in your heart, but put your best face forward, it's another to act like a bitter envious fool.

And in the writing business, I'm constantly seeing people, friends, surpass where I'm at. Getting agents, getting book contracts, and it's hard, but it also makes me realize that it is possible to achieve your goals.

If we act like an ass about it, well, we'll look like an ass. If we purposely ignore it, it festers and eats away at us. It can destroy friendships.

That said, I think it's important to commend people on their successes. Even go out of your way to share it with others. It will make them feel good, and may also relieve your own jealousy issues a bit. I also think it's okay to talk about it. I've said to people, "Man, I am so jealous." And you know what, they usually understand. They've been there, and you can commiserate and celebrate together.

That's all I've got.

Happy Monday.

Kisses

:*

Megan
Post a Comment

My Dad. He's awesome.

John Messina, Personal Injury Attorney

Total Pageviews