Monday, June 6, 2011

Monday Morning Blahg: YA Too Dark?

Many of you have probably already seen the Wall Street Journal article about the darkness in YA literature.  I hate to give this article any more attention, but the article irked me royal.  The writer of the article talks about how all the books are dark and gruesome, full of violence, abuse, self mutilation, profanity, addiction, yadda yadda yadda.

You know what I was reading when I was thirteen?  Stephen KingFirestarter, Dead Zone, The Stand, Cujo.  Full of foul language and sex and violence.  Was this my only option?  No, but it's what I liked reading.

Teens are reading.  Isn't that a good thing?  These days, teens are reading topics that interest them, topics they can relate to, topics that deal with the problems they deal with.  The author mentions a few books that she says, "don't end well."  Life is not all butterflies and rainbows.  Teens these days face some really horrific realities-homophobia, depression, violence, suicide.  Most of these books they're reading do offer hope in the end.  It's not all gloom and doom.  And many teens feel these books help them deal.  If you don't believe me, check out Twitter #yasaves. 

And yes, the fantasy books are full of the same stuff the realistic books are: violence, death, profanity.  Again, this is not anything they're not exposed to in their every day life, but also offers a form of escape into a world other than they're own.

I wonder if the adults that have a problem with YA let their kids play violent video games, or watch movies or TV shows full of sex and violence. Kids are exposed to this kind of stuff every day, whether through media or reality.  Why should we shield them from their own actualities?

I've spoken my peace.

5 comments:

  1. I'm pretty sure she didn't even finish the books she was dissing. For example I've read The Marbury Lens, and it does end well. So there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like you was reading Stephen King, I loved scary stories. I don't recall any scary stories I read that didn't end on a note that left hope or teach me something new about the world.

    I think reading is a great way for kids to explore things that scare them or confuse them and learn how to deal with them.

    Eventually they will be exposed to scary stuff in real life. Perhaps having read of frightening issues beforehand will help them deal with things in the real world.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Matthew, "so there" lol.

    @Erin, I agree. Sometimes life is ugly. We can't just ignore the difficult issues. Kids deal with these issues in life, we can help protect them, but why pretend it doesn't exist. I think these books do help protect them. I don't think they're glorifying the issues they're deal with, they're showing the damage that can happen, but there is always hope to move forward.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The darker the better, bring it on!

    ReplyDelete

My Dad. He's awesome.

John Messina, Personal Injury Attorney

Total Pageviews